Chapter 1

She made a turn towards her house in Southlands; she tried to avoid a pothole that was forming. The roads had just been done a few years back and she doubted how well they had been tarmacked. It was too soon for it to be getting cracks since it had not even rained in a while. Njoki Wanyoike arrived at her house and parked her car outside the gate; she'd park it inside later or leave it there as she knew it would be safe in their well secured estate. She got out clutching her handbag and marched into the house where she found the door unlocked and her son glued to the television. 'Don't change the channel' She announced raising her voice slightly to her five year old son who was about to switch the channels. She had been newly appointed the Head of Policy Department in her international Non-governmental Organization and was now heading almost five departments including her own Women Rights.

She was so busy and sometimes even carried her work home especially when she needed to study over reports and projects, this she did at night when everyone else had gone to sleep. Something familiar had caught her eye in the local news channel on the swearing in of the newly elected Members of Parliament which was live on air. Elections had just concluded a month earlier and there had been so much excitement and hype. It had never happened in the Kenyan history where the country with more than 42 tribes had united to vote a president out. Excitement and euphoria had filled the air. The Nation wanted to vote out the president whose term was over and wanted another leader who could tackle the problems facing the country. Poverty was a major problem, unemployment among the young adults which were referred to as the youth even though Njoki felt that youth was a transition and anyone above eighteen was an adult and not a youth. She felt the term was used wrongly by the politicians; some who were above forty even referred to themselves as youths to entice the voters below thirty years of age. It was also felt there was a need in change of leadership as the old regime had done nothing much for its citizens in spite of ruling for over twenty years. Change was important and a good chance for a country's leadership but it was gradual and people shouldn't expect miracles, the public also felt that the new leader would make great changes in a span of five years. What they seemed to forget is that they also needed to play their role in the development of their country. As she neared the television she thought she had seen an unforgettable face and wanted to linger and see whether it was precise.

'What is it that you are so interested in watching; don't tell me you want to see your new Member of Parliament being sworn in'? Joshua, her husband of four years asked. She had loved him a long time ago but now after four years of marriage she felt she had made a wrong decision of marrying him. She didn't love him and he didn't love her son because he claimed he wasn't the father and he was the reason they were discontented as he was a constant reminder of her infidelity. This she knew wasn't true. She was drained of arguing with him. He so wanted to have a baby with her but she was skeptical about it as she felt that fulfilling his wish wouldn't solve anything as he still hadn't forgiven her for cheating on him. She wanted out but she didn't know how to do it. Her son loved Joshua as the only man he knew as his father and her parents didn't trust her enough to make another wrong judgment after she had left Senteu whom she was traditionally married to. Sometimes she felt like her marriage to Joshua was illegal if Senteu was to come back and claim she was his legal wife, but he hadn't done that and she knew by now he may be married and even have children. She had met Senteu when she'd been doing some research at the Rift valley. He'd been the son of Toponu, the woman who had housed her. She wondered why Joshua married her when he knew he'd never truly accept her son and even forgive her.

'Would that be dreadful, after all I voted for him' she replied dropping her hand bag on the couch before joining her son, Saibull who nestled closer to her. He resembled Senteu in every way, looking at him sometimes made her think about Senteu.

'What did you do today in school?' she asked him while still gazing on the swearing in ceremony. Her son attended a preschool in a nearby school in their Estate