Murder on the Train

It was supposed to be a normal day. A normal train ride... that was until the screaming started. At first I thought nothing of it, but then it became more panicked. Word travels fast like wind in a prairie fire. Through the panic I manage to catch on to what everyone is saying. Someone had been murdered; their body found in the baggage car. It was then that I realized I hadn't moved from my seat. Everyone else had already grabbed their things and were making a mad dash to the doors. I didn't bother getting up from my seat because I didn't really feel like getting trampled. My one concern was that the murderer is on board and fleeing with the rest of the passengers.

I stood up from my seat, picked up my dress (so nobody would step on it), and made an attempt to push my way through the crowd of panicked people. It didn't help any that I was going in the opposite direction. Mothers held on tightly to their valuables while keeping their children close. I had no idea what I was doing or where I was going. I pushed a strand of hair out of my face, that seemed to have fallen out of my bun, as I continue to make my way down the train car. I stop for a brief moment to look out the nearest window and it seems that most everyone has gotten off safely. 

I suck in a breath and passed through the next train car, continuing on my way towards the baggage car. Why couldn't I  just be like everyone else and run for my life. Curiosity got the best of me and I wanted to know who was killed. For all I knew, the murderer could've fled with everyone else or he could still be on board waiting for his next victim. 

I took in a shaky breath as I entered the baggage car. As curious as I was, I wasn't sure if I was prepared to see who the dead body was or how bad the murder scene may be.

I followed the trail of blood until I came across the body. Nothing could have prepared me for the person that I found. I covered my mouth with my hands as a scream tore from my throat. The murderer had killed my younger sister, Lily.