03

“Millie, what happened two years ago?” I asked as I put away the broom in its closet.

After a few clicks from the door, there was a moment of bare silence. She froze on where she stood. For a period of time, neither of us spoke. I did not know if I should ask her again to see if she heard me or to simply wait for an answer.

I already told myself that I would give up on unecessary details such as that silver key but my mind kept going back to it. Was it important? No, if it was important then I wouldn’t have forgotten about it.

Why then?

She first responded with an awkward laugh. “Seven, since when were you curious about trivial things?” she asked. She turned to me after pausing for a few seconds. “I don’t recall much... but if I remember correctly, the great war happened around that time.”

The great war. My thoughts had never seemed so cloudy before. I don’t remember anything related to it. Come to think of it, was I even there when it happened? Not even an ounce of nostalgia hit me. Whenever I look outside, the town would seem peaceful. It was as if it never happened.

Strange. I had never been this curious before.

“I see. I’ll be going now,” I replied as I walked away from Millie who only nodded as a response and made my way to my room. The stairs creaked loudly no matter how much I try to stay quiet in the middle of the dead night.

My room is located in the attic. All what’s in it is a single bed and a cabinet filled with clothes. It isn’t as unique as Kate’s room that was filled with all sorts of pink things and Ian’s galaxy themed room. Even Millie’s room might be even more interesting to look at.

I sat down on my bed and my thoughts began to wander. I started to think of how strange it seems for me to lack memory of the past. My oldest memory would be that time I woke up in this house without questioning anything at all.

What about eating? All food tastes the same. In fact, they don’t taste like anything at all. I remember eating the same food as Ian before. It turned oyt to be spoiled. He got a bad stomach afterwards and I didn’t. Immunity, was it? I think I’ve read about it before.

Dreaming... I don’t think I had any dreams before. I only shut my eyes and see void. I think this is normal with most people but I always wanted to experience dreaming. As Kate explained once, dreaming is like playing a video in my head while asleep. I did not quite understand what she meant back then.

It wasn’t long before I noticed that the sun was about to rise soon. It occured to me that I spent hours on pondering random thoughts.

“I should sleep,” I whispered to myself as I finally squeeze my eyes shut. I should at least get a few hours before working again. After counting up to ten, I feel myself getting relaxed. All I see is the same pitch black.

It went on for an hour or two until it was finally 5 AM. At this time, I would only be the one who is awake. Millie instructed me to start doing chores even when she’s not around. Because of that, I get up from bed and head downstairs.

The house is quiet just as expected. There isn’t much to do either. Asides sweeping the floor and watering the plants in the garden, all what’s left is breakfast.

I go to the kitchen to look for ingridients but it seemed like we have already run out. My first instinct was to go out and buy some but I am not really familiar with whatever is outside. I wouldn’t get lost. That’s for sure. It’s just that I might not be able to make it back in time. Maybe if I make a run for it... yes, that would do.

I took some of my pocket money and went outside. I had to lock the house before sprinting my way to the market. Now that I see it, our house seemed isolated from town. The small house would sit on the hill that stands out among the town houses.

The sun was already rising by the time I made it to the foot of the hill. I looked around me and saw something that caught me eye. It was an odd figure peeping out in the bushes. It doesn’t really stand out because of the plants but something tells me that I should see what it is.

I inch closer without any hesitation. It wasn’t really moving. I could see glistening metal as I look at it carefully. I used my bare hands to free the object from the plants that coiled around it.

It was an airplane.

Or at least, it looked like one.

I only stare at it for a minute. Strange. Was it always here?