Huckleberry Pie

"Huckleberries taste best during spring. The juicy insides reunite with your tastebuds. The berry is soothing and warm in your tummy. We had a tree down where my mother once lived. I was always excited to eat the new berries. My Aunt's cat's name is Huckleberry. Our family's last name was Schubert. It was then changed to Ellis. My Parents passed a while back when I was little. I don't remember them. I only heard stories from my mother's sister. I heard about the dogs they owned, the horses they bred, the huckleberry tree, and the cottage. I remember the Huckleberry tree was my favorite place to go. That's all I remember. I was only five when my parents died during a fire in the wooden cottage." I look up. I at least read this page that I wrote a thousand times. The Huckleberry sticks to my lower lip. I lick off the tasty remains, and sigh. Not the sigh of relief, the sigh that only I hear. The sigh that tells me I'm not doing good. I shovel the playing cards in my hands again. Huckleberry juice stains the deck of cards well. These were my fathers cards, and now they are mine. I pull the pocket watch out of my pocket and press it against my ear. I hear the tick tick ticking. The little face of the clock smiles the time, 6:30 P.M. Aunt Carlotta is at work, I have to cook dinner. I'm only 13, and I don't know much about cooking. I get off the couch, and walk down to the kitchen. The stovetop is half burnt, the hand towels are dripping wet, the sink faucet is running, and the counters are bleached with dust. Gross, I knowledge in my head. I grab the fridge door and pull it open. Barely any cold air comes out of the fridge. I shut it closed and kick the wall. My Aunt's apartment sucks.