Reflection

The door opened and the matchmaker walked out. She was a fat middle aged woman wearing  a deep purple dress, a dark red sash across the middle, a turquoise handkerchief, gold bracelets on both her wrists, gold earrings, blue eyeshadow, pink blush, red lipstick, a lotus flower pin in her hair and a giant mole on her left cheek. "(L/N) (Y/N)." She said after taking a pen from behind her ear and looking at a clipboard.

    "Present!" You said standing up.

    "Speaking without permission." She said and jots something in her notes.

    "Oops." You said and covered your face in embarrassment.

     "Who spit in her bean curd?" You heard your grandma mumble. You walked into the matchmaker's building. She slammed the door shut behind her and looked at your size. "Too skinny." She said and wrote something down.

You didn't realize it but, the cricket your grandma got you had opened its cage and hopped out. It glared at the matchmaker and tried to hop away. "Not good for bearing sons." She said.

You caught the cricket and try to put it back in its cage but, it kept hopping away. You noticed the matchmaker coming to you so you put it in your mouth and hoped you don't kill it.

"Recite the final admonition." She said looking at you dead in the eye.

You nodded and pulled your fan out from your sash. You opened it exposing the (r/c) fan and softly fanned your face and spit out the cricket. You glanced at your arm and saw some of the ink smeared making some of the words jumbled up.

"Well?"

"Fulfill your duties calmly and respectfully, um, reflect before you snack. Act! This shall bring you honor and glory!" You sighed in relief and fanned your face suddenly thankful for the amount of makeup you're wearing.

She snatched your fan and glanced at it on both sides while holding your arm. "Hmm, this way." She said and dragged you over to a table where a tea pot and cup were there. Unfortunately for her, she grabbed the arm with your notes and when she let go there is ink all over her hand. She picked up the tea pot and set it to the side.

     "Now pour the tea." She said gesturing to it. "To please your future in-laws you must demonstrate a sense of dignity and refinement, you must also be poised." She then wiped two of her fingers from under her nose to her chin leaving her with a ink beard. You stared at her in shock and when you noticed the tea wasn't getting into the cup and quickly fixed it.

    When you finished you saw the cricket in the cup! He was acting as though the tea was a hot tub! She picked up the cup and was about to drink it but you spoke up. "Um pardon me." You whispered.

    "AND SILENT!" She snapped. You shut up and she sniffs the tea. Unaware that the cricket's antenna went with the air. You crawled on top of the table and reached for the cup. "Could I just take that back for a moment?" You asked taking it. She had a grip on it and you both played tug of war with it until she flung backwards and you on the table. The tea splashed all over the top part of her dress and the cricket fell in her dress.

     You gasped staring at her. "Why you clumsy— oh!" She said feeling the bug jump in her dress. She tried to catch it but while attempting to do so she knocked the small pot of hot coals on the floor and the cloth on her right burned a little. She smelled it and ran around screaming patting her butt cheek.

     You grabbed your fan and fanned the burnt area but it grew into a roaring flame on her butt! She screamed more and smashed on the table while the orange monster followed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

From outside your mom and grandma could hear things breaking like the others that were gathered around. "I think it's going well don't you?" Your grandma said to your mom.

The door burst open and everyone gasped seeing the matchmaker's butt on fire. The other girls moved away from her. "PUT IT OUT! PUT IT OUT! PUT IT OUT!" She yelled.

     You were holding the tea pot and thrust it to the matchmaker's direction. Tea splashed all over her causing her makeup to run down her face and the fire to be put out. You calmly handed her the pot and she took it. You then bowed and walked down the stairs hiding your face with one hand. The cricket hopped back in the cage and closed the door. You mom held you by the arms as soon as you walked to her.

     "You are a disgrace!" She yelled throwing the teapot on the ground and shattering it to pieces. "You may look like a bride but you will never bring your family honor!" She added looking at you in the eye. The crowd walks away and your grandma and mom had their hands on your arms to console you but you felt devastated by what you've done.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     You opened the wooden gate to your home and walked in the lawn with your horse behind you. You clutch the reins and your father smiled at you when he came outside. You hide your face from him and put (H/N) in its pen.

You took the reins off and stared at the reflection of yourself in the water trough full of water. You pushed a lock of hair back and took your earrings and necklace off and your heart broke a little seeing your devastated parents hugging each other.

"Look at me
I will never pass for a perfect bride
Or a perfect daughter"

You walked into the garden and let the cricket out of its cage on a bamboo branch and went on the bridge. You climbed on the top of the rails and hopped on the fence tops on the bridge holding your dress up to not slip. You hopped off and continued walking letting your dress down.

"Can it be I'm not meant to play this part
Now I see
That if I were truly to be myself, I would break my family's heart"

You glanced at the pond and wonder who you are. You leaned on the statue of a stone dragon and stare at the sky. You then walk to your family temple unaware of the cricket following you.

"Who is that girl I see
Staring straight, back at me
Why is my reflection someone I don't know"

You stare at your reflection on the tombs as you walk by and kneeled in front of your great times 10 grandfather. The man who started your family. You bowed in front of it to respect him. You stare at yourself and wiped off half of the makeup off and stare. Are a bride or a dishonor?

"Somehow I cannot hide
Who I am
Though I've tried
When will my reflection show who I am inside"

You wiped off the rest of the makeup and let your hair down. You walked out of the temple your fingers grazing the tombs and sat on the bench under the cherry blossoms.

"When will my reflection show who I am inside"

You played with your hair with the lotus comb on your lap. You glanced to your left and saw your dad walking to you. You turned away and he sat next to you. It was quite for a few moments but then he spoke up.

"My, my, what beautiful blossoms we have this year. But look." He said pointing his index finger at a flower bud. You solemnly glanced at it. "This one is late but, I'll bet that when it blooms it will be the most beautiful of all." He said taking the comb from your lap and placing it in your hair after moving some of it aside to show your ear.

You smiled at him and he smiled back, happy to see you smile then you both heard drums.