Lunch Plans

The teacher hadn't yet arrived in class 2-1, which Ayano used as an opportunity to look around at her new classmates.

It was a pretty diverse class, she mused. People of all social cliques were mingling from their seats. A music club member, art club member, garden club member, cooking club member, photography club member and drama club member were all chatting away in the front right corner of the class. In the front left corner, a sports club and martial arts club member.

In the front middle, Ayano saw a science club and occult club member engaging in a very awkward seeming small talk session. The ravenette chuckled dryly. "Even the anti socials are better at talking than me."

Her grey eyes then fell to her left, where her two new friends were giggling and sharing photos on their phones. She smiled at them, still in slight disbelief she had befriended them.

Then she peered to her right. Right next to her, a tan girl with blonde hair (streaked hot pink in the front) was texting on her device, looking very annoyed. Hana Daidaiyama: part of the popular girls, or the phone addicts. They were the trendiest and prettiest girls at school, though Ayano preferred the words "meanest" and "most annoying ". She knew them to be bullies to unpopular students, including one of her friends. So, after being disgusted with her obnoxiously loud chewing on her bubblegum, the emotionless second-year scoffed and looked beyond her.

The last person in the class was clad in a black jacket, parted to reveal his red shirt. His blonde hair spiked in every direction on his head. He was definitely a delinquent. They were the most feared students in school, though Ayano found them intriguing. He glanced over and met her gaze, his ruby eyes narrowing slightly. Ayano simply smiled at him, causing those eyes to widen in surprise before nodding at her in acknowledgement. Then he briskly looked away.

Osana tapped the shyer girl on the shoulder, making her turn to face her. She smirked. "Looks like someone's caught the delinquent's attention," she teased. She folded her arms on her desk, resting her chin on top. "Looks like beauty really does tame the beast."

The grey eyed girl scoffed and grinned. "Gimme a break, Osana-san," she retorted. She rested her cheek on her hand in a bored fashion. "I think you're overthinking it."

"Come on, Yan-chan." Raibaru smiled, eyes glinting. "You're really pretty. Don't put yourself down."

Before the Aishi could fire back something, a brunette teacher walked in. She clapped her hands, getting the attention of all 15 students. "Settle down, class!" she instructed. Silence insued. "I'm sorry I'm late. We had an issue in the staff room."

Ayano sat dead still, listening and watching. She knew that when roll call came around, she'd have to give a small impression as to how she was as a person. So she rehearsed in her head how to respond: how to smile, what tone to use, what body language, etc.

Soon enough, she heard her name: "Aishi Ayano!" their teacher called, searching the class.

The emotionless second year waved to indicate her seat before standing up, clearing her throat.

"Hello, everyone. I'm Ayano Aishi," her voice rang sweetly as her eyes sparkled. "I hope to make friends with all of you." She flashed the class a kind smile.

Everyone stared at her in awe before smiling back at her. "You too, Aishi-san." they unisoned.

Ayano bowed and took her seat once more, glancing over to Osana and Raibaru. "How was that?"

They both gave her thumbs up and massive grins.

For the remainder of the classes until lunch time, Ayano sat attentively, taking notes for the rest of the year. Soon, during her science class, a nearly folded square of paper landed in the spine of her  notebook.  Curious, she picked it up between her pale thumb and index finger and examined it.