Trope Breakers #23 | A Pen and Sword Article

The troll armies are closing in around the heroic remnant

The troll armies are closing in around the heroic remnant. Everywhere, men falter. The sound of screams, soldiers and horses, fills the air. The forces of darkness are on the brink of victory...

When suddenly! From an unknown source! Is that a horn call?

Dawn light pours over the toweringly ominous mountains as a group of shining figures, mounted on white steeds, plunges into the multitude and rains justice on the enemy lines.

Are they a long-awaited batch of reinforcements? Are they mystical, divine helpers? Are they some adjacent country, persuaded at last after years of strained relations to aid their beleaguered neighbors? It doesn't matter. Any one of these would fit the popular trope known commonly as "Here Comes the Cavalry".

 Any one of these would fit the popular trope known commonly as "Here Comes the Cavalry"

Now, it may seem like I'm addressing all nick-of-time rescues here. Hardly. That's half the climaxes in fiction, and more of a broad story motif than an actual trope. No, I'm talking about the specific brand of rescue which takes place on a battlefield.

Armies are the players. There is a reasonably clear line between good and evil, and the protagonist? Definitely on the side of the good. The day is not saved by exploiting the opponent's weakness, by a breathtaking sacrifice, or some clever tactical maneuver, but by sheer increase of numbers. And when do these extra numbers show up? On the very cusp of the End, right when everything is falling apart.

That scenario, that last-minute deliverance, is our trope today.

This one is common especially to fantasy by virtue of the swords, castles, and general war elements that tend to populate the genre. The Lord of the Rings, with its epic Helm's Deep rescue, has made this trope virtually iconic. After all, hope is a powerful emotion. There's an inexpressible thrill that comes with seeing the cavalry arrive after all seems lost. It's no wonder that people love to utilize this scenario in their wars.

The main pitfalls to avoid with this trope are twofold. First, you must ensure that your cavalry, whatever form it takes (it certainly doesn't have to be mounted soldiers!), has a valid explanation. And not only does it need an explanation (the pink unicorns made a vow to help the people of Arpanno long ago on the second Tuesday of every 1000th year!) your reader should be aware of that explanation beforehand. ANY plot point needs to have enough foreshadowing that the reader can look back and say, "That makes sense!" Do not bring your pink unicorns out of left field and expect the reader to just sit back and enjoy the show. You will receive hate mail (or hate comments) elucidating their confusion in hopefully refined language.