Chapter II

I stepped onto the balcony, holding the skirts of my violet dress up so they would not get damp. As I walked towards the railing, water seeped into my shoes, and every step incited a wet squish. I grimaced at the chill and looked down at the puddles the rain left on the stone. Lifting up the hem of my gown, I saw that the water stained my flats a dark purple.

Abbie would not be happy with me.

Finally shrugging and deciding that I did not care what she thought, I dropped my skirts, which hit the floor with a satisfying splash. Grinning to myself, I wiped the water off the railing the best that I could and leaned against it.

It had finally stopped raining but it was still cloudy. I did not mind the clouds as long as there was no moisture in the air. Every so often the sun would peak out from behind them, illuminating the drops of liquid left on the plants and stone, before going back into hiding.

As I looked upon the garden, I bit my lip. Two of the kings who held seats on the Supreme Council were due to arrive with their families, and I was nervous. I knew that they technically had to accept me because I was the Compeer of the heir to the Throne and the Holder of the Devil's Heart, but I was worried that I would either say or do something and embarrass myself or, even worse—embarrass Michael.

"I should have known that you would be out here," a voice sighed. I knew immediately who it was. I heard his light footsteps as he crossed through the shallow puddles to get to me. "Look, you ruined your dress."

"I needed fresh air!" I protested, turning to look up at him. He shook his head at me.

"You could have waited until the water was all dried up." He picked his leg up and scowled when said water dripped from his shoe. He placed his foot back down on the ground, his scowl deepening when it sloshed into another puddle. "Fantastic."

Despite my previous nervousness, I giggled at his sour expression and turned around to go back inside. I felt him grab my arm and pull me back.

"No you don't," he said. "Not after you ruined my shoe!"

"I didn't ruin your shoe," I retorted, turning around to face him. We were so close that I had to tilt my head all the way back in order to see his face. "The water did."

"You indirectly ruined my shoe by making me come out here."

"I didn't make you do anything!"

"But you know very well," he said, "that wherever you are, I will be. Take that into consideration next time, will you?" His smile was teasing and his eyes were mischievous.

"Fine," I responded. I suddenly remembered something. "You didn't tell me that you had another uncle who lived in Vittoris."

"Oh, yes, you met him," Michael recalled. "He doesn't live in the capital, though, he lives in Potencia. It is just south of here."

"He seems… nice," I said, though I wanted to say, 'he's not like your father.'

"That is because he is my mother's brother," he responded. "I know what you are thinking. No, he is not like my father."

Surprised at his apparent ability to now read my mind—what couldn't he do?—I said, "Can I go inside now?"

"Why?" he asked. "Didn't you just come out here?"

"My feet are cold!"

He laughed and took my hand in his, leading me back inside. As he closed the doors I took off my shoes, which now didn't even resemble shoes, and shook them out to try to dry them. When this did not help, I threw them into a corner of the room. I picked up the bottom of my dress, wringing it out to try and dry the skirts.