Chapter 4

Vera

Vera ended up opening the coffee shop much later that she had planned to.

There were two reasons for that: One, a quick stop at the New York harbor on her way back from NYU and the second, a long shower.

She served her customers like a polite robot with a pleasant smile stuck on her lips but her mind was far away.

She knew going to the harbor had been a mistake but she needed to see it one more time. To say goodbye for good. 

The harbor was filled with bittersweet memories. Where she had been saved by Artemis and later killed because of her.

Vera had sat down on a wooden berth and stared at the sea. It had been beautiful and terrifying. She had never swam in the sea after the incident. Even swimming pools were a struggle.

Vera had Artemis's father to thank for that and yet she found it hard to hate the man. He was as miserable as she was.

Everything in this city reminded Vera of her lost Love. Artemis was in the very air she breathed. In the water. In the trees. In the old pavement. Mixed with Vera's very atoms.

Vera had learnt long ago to live in peace with her pain. It was her emotional cancer that neither killed or healed.

After wasting thirty minutes at the harbor, Vera had jumped on her Ducati and then in the shower.

She had a small apartment on the second floor, above the coffee shop which was mostly used for her hookups because she didn't like taking them to her actual home. She knew her twin didn't like strangers in his personal space.

Only when Vera was locked in the bathroom and scrubbing her skin, she finally let herself cry. Vera loathed bathrooms. They were tied with her lowest moments. A collage of winking blades and blood. So much blood.

The first time she almost succeeded in ending things It was Rex who had found her limp body in the bath and it had ruined her brother so Vera had made sure to never ever cut at home again.

It was Vera's demon. Rex didn't have to suffer for it.

The second time Artemis had stopped her. It shouldn't have happened. Vera had made sure to lock the door but Artemis had broken it anyway.

Vera's hand had been shaking, body burning with bitter determination. It was time. Even when she'd had nothing to live for, she had tried to live for Rex but she couldn't do that forever. Vera wanted the pain to stop.

Rex would be better off without her. Her parents hated her and Jade was dead. She had nothing meaningful to live for.

She had apologized to Rex in the letter she'd left him. Not that it mattered. She wasn't after forgiveness.

Just as the sweet blade was about to draw blood for the last time, the door had opened, followed by a German accent.

"Can I use the bathroom Frau?"

"Yes." Vera had slipped the razor back in her pocket, hoping the girl haden't seen it.

"I am terribly sorry it is urgent."

Vera had forced a smile. "It's Ok ma'am."

She had ran away, mind divided between hating the girl for interrupting her and being thankful for unknowingly saving her.

Vera had no idea what the German was doing in the shabby bathroom of the cafe she worked at but she would try again. Find another bathroom. Another quiet place.