- I'm Trying, Dave -

It had been just a week or two since Christmas. Of course, the Strider's celebrated New Years, and it involved his brother getting even more dangerously drunk. Luckily their other family, Dirk and David, they came. Well, it gave Dave some lenience, but once they left, well, he was in deep shit.

- New Year's Eve -
It was about 7 when Dirk and David arrived. Prior to that, Dave was slapped twice, while Bro was drunk, babbling nonsense and curse words, along with threats. He had finally gotten peace when he found safety in his room, and he changed quick. He was wearing a tank top and shorts, which exposed his bruises and scars. He needed to cover that up. Dave decided on his old black hoodie and some worn jeans, torn a little at the knees. Luckily no scars shown on his knees.

Dave's room was his only hope of escape. The only place he found refuge. Though, it didn't last long.
In about ten to fifteen minutes, Bro was on the other side, banging on it, telling Dave "Open up, you little bastard! We've got guests, make your shitty ass decent!" Dave gulped, and he stayed silent, just about to run to his closet in fear. He knew Bro could get in his room. That's why he was afraid.
--
Once he was finally out of his room, David and Dirk were in the living room, and the expression on Dirk's face, even with his shades on, he knew Dirk's expression was worry. He could see it in the way his lips spoke, but it was also how he seemed like he wanted to jump up and run over to him. "Hey, guys," he says in a quiet tone, and they both lift their hands and wave once. David was talking to Bro, and Dirk was just observing Dave's current state, as if he looked like complete shit.
He and Dirk shared glances, and he could easily figure out what was wrong with just a look.
- end of flashback -

All Dave remembered from that night was the look Dirk Gave him. As if he could tell what had happened just before they arrived on New Years. Like he knew that Bro was beating him, like he knew that he had bruises on beneath his hoodie... Like he knew that Dave would cut himself. He knew it all, but he didn't say anything.

Well...that was until he actually came over, more unexpectedly than anything.

Bro had been out, and Dave knew he would be out for hours. So he was in his room, hiding like he would, listening to music with the beats he got on Christmas. He was absent-mindedly scrolling through Tumblr, going to different blogs and staring at the screen. It was bright, but luckily he had his shades on. It's been about two hours that he's been home alone, but he wasn't complaining. He never gets upset when he's home by himself. It was peaceful, without his shouting brother up his ass all the time.

He was alone, until there was a loud knock on the door. "Dave! Open the door, please!" When he heard the voice, he flinched, and grabbed a baseball bat, and walked out of his room to the living room, heading to the front door.
"Who-who is it?" he asked quietly, staring at the door with fear. "It's Dirk, please open the door!" Dave's fear went away, and he quickly opened the door, to Dirk, who seemed worried and scared as hell. He ran inside and hugged Dave tightly, and Dave just stood there, frozen, the bat now dropped to the floor.
And then he hugged back, after a moment of coming back to reality. But...why was he here? Was he right? Did Dirk actually figure out what was going on? "I'm sorry I came too late."

Oh yeah. He knew.

Dave struggled out of his grip, and stood back, staring at him. "You...you knew.." he muttered, and Dirk just stared at him, silently. "I did. I knew the second you looked at Bro with fear. I knew, after I saw how you dressed. I knew."

"And I'm here to save you."

------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Heyo, guys~ I know this update is shitty as fuck, but cliffhanger works, since I'm still stuck in a bad writer's block. I promise, I'll try my best.

Thanks for all the likes and good comments, I read 'em all!

Until then, my lovelies...

~ The Meaningless Author