Chapter One

Paige:

I prepared myself to die and for whatever he planned before he killed me. He pushed me through the front door and along the hallway, I didn't see much, because I was too stoned and drunk still. (Which Ill curse at myself later) 

He picked something else up from a table and opened this secret hatch that had a wooden staircase leading down to the basement or a cellar. I tried to get away from him, but his grip was too tight on me while he forced me inside.

He closed the door behind me, leaving me standing at the stop of the steps, alone. I notice the room is a pretty light blue with a small kitchen, a tiny bookshelf, a medium size couch, plus separate doors that lead to who knows where. If I wasn't kidnapped and frightened out of my mind, I'd think it'd be a nice place to live in someday.  

Above the bookshelf I notice four vases. One is filled with roses, the one after that is filled with carnations, then the third one has a few dried up bellflowers. I notice that the fourth vase is empty.

I scream a little when I see three other figures come from under the stairs. I back myself into the corner of the stairwell while the tallest of the three comes into view. She bends at my level while I think of scenioros to get away from them, "There there, it's alright Katie. We're here for you, my name is-." I shake my head from my thoughts on how to break her neck, "My name isn't Katie. It's Paige." Her expression changes to a dark/serious look, "Listen here, your name is Katie and you will never speak of your past life. This is your home now so quit trying to change it." I tear up and then one of the other girls comes over and puts her arm around me and holds my head to her chest, "Jesus Lora, no need to be a bitch to her. Mary and I were just as terrifed as her when he took us." Lora scoffs, "Still believing that hmm? Still think after all these months that he kidnapped you from the dumpster you were living in."

She stands up, then walks to one of the closed doors and quietly shuts it behind her. I glance at the other girl who just stands there and for a second I thought she was gonna either cry or faint. I look up at the girl who is still holding me, she looks down at me with a sad smile, "Lora is right a little. You shouldn't speak of your old life when he's around. It's for your safety and everyone else's. But when he's not around or when Lora is sleeping, then remember everything you can so you got a fighting chance. Because if you can, you might get out of here alive." I only nod while they help me up and bring me to the couch. Claire and Mary are their actual names I think. But they're supposed to be called by names that he chooses. Lora comes back out after a while and tosses a bucket with cleaning supplies by my feet. I look up at her through my lashes, "He wants this place always clean, free of germs. Start with the kitchen and the rest of us will do the rest. And here's your new set of clothes." I glance down again and notice a pair of overalls and a t-shirt tucked in them. I secretly touch my dress that I had on for the party. Suddenly I remember the party and what I heard.

"Cole and Anna.."

The other girls give me a weird look and then glance at each other. I feel my face get wet and I let the tears fall. Mary bends down in front of me and grabs my hands with hers, I just noticed how sweet and homey her voice is, "Best advice from me, I take my emotions out by cleaning." I nod and wipe my wet face.

I grab the bucket and head into the bathroom that one of the girls showed me. I strip my clothes off and make sure everything is in order the way they expect it. I glance up in the mirror and I start to bawl and let everything sink in. I hear a knock at the door and quickly wipe my smeared mascara off and splash cold water on my face.

I can get through this. I'll get out of here and Cole and I can figure this out. I'll get out of here, I can handle this.