Chapter 9: Marinette's POV

"Marinette! You can't tell him!"

"But, Tikki, I already know Chat is Adrien! Ugh, why didn't I see it before?" I moan and sink into my palms. "Tikki... I feel so bad."

"Why, Marinette?"

"Because as soon as I tell him I know who he is, he's going to realize he asked me to finish up a gift for myself from him. And that it wasn't a surprise. And now I'm realizing... he has to be in love with the mask, if he doesn't love me in real life!"

"Well, you have to remember, Marinette, you met each other the day you became superheroes. As soon as he saw Ladybug, maybe he shut off his mind to other people... and that's why he considers you as only a 'very good friend'!" Tikki says bumping into my forehead.

"Maybe..."

"What are you bringing Chat Noir tonight?"

"I thought maybe a few croissants. Adrien likes those. And cookies! Maybe some passionfruit macaroons, too..."

"Marinette..."

"What is it, Tikki?"

"You might as well take the whole bakery if you're going to give Chat Noir everything he likes."

I giggle. "You're right, Tikki. Just croissants, cookies, and passionfruit macaroons."

Tikki giggles. "Well, he's expecting you in less than an hour, so you might want to get packing."

--  --  --

"Hey, chaton. You're here early. I was going to decorate."

"Oh, by all means, milady."

"Okay, close your eyes."

Adrien/Chat Noir closes his eyes and I go around, putting up candles and laying down a blanket, almost the same setup he had when he had that 'surprise' set up for me. I set down the picnic basket at the corner and lead him to sit on the blanket.

"Okay."

He opens his eyes. "Wow. This must be a special talk."

"I brought snacks." I bring out a plate of croissants. "Let's start with these. It might take a while for me to explain the whole thing."

"Uh, is this a serious matter, milady?"

"Sorta."

"Okay." He grabs a croissant. "Ready."

"I think I know who you are."

Chat has a coughing fit and almost spits out his croissant. "What?"

"I'm going to guess who you are."

He leans back. "Well, this is going to be fun. You're not going to get it―"

"Adrien Agreste?"

He leans forward really fast. "How the―"

"Let me explain. Please."

"How do-do I know you in real life? Are we friends? Do we go to the same school? Do you buy my father's stuff? How did―"

"Adrien."

He leans back again.

"You're going to close your eyes. For a second. We're going to both detransform. I will show you who I am. We are not turning our Miraculous's in. Are you okay with this?"

He gulps and nods.

"Three..." he closes his eyes. "Two..." he twists his ring nervously around his finger. "One."

I say, "Tikki, Spots Off." as he says. "Plagg, Claws In."

I watch the green light dance around him as Chat turns into Adrien. The pink also fades from around me. Tikki hovers nervously by my head, and Plagg comes closer so she can catch him up.

Adrien looks really nervous. His cheeks are pink and his hair is ruffled. I reach out and snatch up a croissant, munching on it quietly.

He clears his throat. "Milady?"

"Sh."

I wait until I finish the croissant before letting him open his eyes.

"M-Marinette?!"