Chapter 10: The Mute

Quick disclaimer: Yato belongs to the creator of Noragami, Handa belongs to the creator of Handa-kun/Barakamon, and any characters that are not OCs or made up characters to spread rumors, belong to the creator of Toilet-Bound Hanako-Kun. The only one that belongs to me is my OC, school mystery no. 8, Kitsujito Mezuteiji.

When Yashiro opens her eyes, she's met with a young looking child in front of a bookshelf, trying to find something, a book to read. A bright smile on their face, and joy shining in their amber brown eyes with pinkish flecks, and bright sky blue hair with red tips that goes down to their shoulder blades making them look more like a girl.

After they pick out a book, they turn around, and suddenly there's a semi-old looking lady sitting in a rocking chair, and the child runs up to them beaming happily, holding out the book to the woman.

"Grandma! I picked a book! Will you read it to me?~" The young child pleads with big eyes.

The woman laughs a bit, and nods, "Sure, Kitsu sweetie." She smiles and pulls the young child, Kitsu, into a proper sitting position on her lap, taking the book, opening it and begins reading.

Then it goes black for a moment, screams filling Yashiro's ears, causing her to clasp her hands over her ears.

A young child is shown once again, emotionless, their eyes dull, mouth pulled into a straight line. In front of them on a bed appears to be a present. They make their way towards it, and open it slowly, a book appearing in front of them as they take off the lid of the box.

Small tears appear in the corner of their eyes, picking up the book which is titled, 'The Forgotten Key' with a small note still in the box, the child not seeing it at the moment, holding the book closely to them, hugging it.

"Grand..... ma....." The child murmured before everything faded with falling broken triangles again.

Yashiro awakes slowly, appearing to be in a chair. Hanako and the boy, Yato in front of her, both looking at her worriedly. Yashiro's eyebrows furrow in slight confusion.

"What was that....?" Yashiro asks, Kitsu suddenly coming out from behind the chair, to stand in her view.

"That was my memory of getting my yorishiro." Kitsu has written on her board an explanation for Yashiro.

"Just like the Misaki Stairs?" She asks tilting her head slowly, Kitsu nodding in response.

"Can I ask what happened to your grandma?" Yashiro asks, tears pricking the edges of her eyes.

Kitsu doesn't flinch or blink but shrugs before quickly writing, "She died. She was in a car crash. My yorishiro was the gift she gave me for my fourth birthday."

Yashiro's eyes widened, 'So young!' She thinks before looking up at her with saddened eyes, "Is that why.... you don't talk?" Kitsu nods.

Hanako and Yato look between the two, both surprised that Kitsu is sharing such information without even batting an eye. Hanako realizes that they really are emotionless, and this doesn't really affect them much. 'He really don't care. Is he even friends with him? What if he's being targeted.....?' Hanako's mind begins to wander, finally starting to be intrigued by them.

"Are we done here now? I would like to be left alone now.... Just barging into my room like this.... Disrespectful brats." Kitsu writes as if irritated, staring down at the trio, floating just slightly above them.

"Yes, yes, thank you Mezu." Hanako smiles his signature smile.

"Stop calling me by my last name, Han-kun...." Kitsu signs getting up in Hanako's face, trying to seem menacing.

"Fine, fine. Kitsujito." Hanako says complying with their wishes, bowing.

Kitsu sighs and quickly attempts to shoo the trio out of their room. The three comply and quickly leave, the door being slammed shut and locked immediately after they leave.

'Is her grandma the only reason Kitsu-chan is a mute?' Yashiro wonders to herself as she and Hanako part ways with Yato.