. . .the end

Pale sunlight filtered through the window, weak and hazy in its early morning glory, but still effortlessly casting a sapphic glow across the woman - once a girl - laying in her bed. Feathery hair was draped over her shoulders, the colour of anthracite, returned from the wispy halo of angel's wings it had been before. Her hand was outstretched into a vacant space that hadn't been vacant a few moments ago, and her eyes fluttered as she awakened from her slumber.

"Gray?" she asked softly, her eyes, still clouded by sleep, traveling across the room and landing on a man with messy hair, looking in the mirror. He turned upon hearing her voice, then gave an affectionate smile.

"Class is cancelled today for you, flower. Get some more sleep, you were out late last night."

"It wasn't that late," she murmured, snuggling into her pillow and watching him as he searched for a shirt. "Violet said it'd just be a studying thing, and then we got to talking about her wedding, and you know how excited she gets when she talks about her wedding."

He snorted, taking his laptop from off of the desk. "I've heard about it all from Harry. Perhaps we could be couple friends, go on double dates, you know?"

"Good lord, no," Chryssie said with a laugh, extending her hand, observing her fingernails, fiery vermillion. "Could you imagine Harry? He'd get such a kick out of that. He loves making fun of me more than anything in the world."

"He's only taking the piss. He thinks you're adorable."

"All of your friends do."

He bit his lip, the mention of his friends seemingly reminding him of his medication as he reached for the bottles, washing down a few pills. She read the names on them

(aripiprazole, sertraline)

though she had no need, having memorised them utterly and completely.

"I don't think that they all especially matter, you know?" he mumbled after a moment, his facial expression deep in thought. His head immediately snapped up after that, and he winced at his words, before quickly adding, "That's not really what I meant, of course they matter, in a sense of humanity, but I just... can't seem to find... you know... friendship, in them. They're more acquaintances than friends, you know? Is that normal?"

"Yeah, love, it is," she murmured, slightly cocking her head. The medical terms placed upon him had somehow made him much more conscious of what he was saying, much more compassionate to those he didn't particularly care about.

Well, as compassionate as someone like Grayson could be.

He exhaled, giving her a crooked grin before swiftly brushing his thumb across her cheekbone. "How do you even put up with me?"

"I love you, that's how."

He smiled again, sweetly, before walking over to get his shoes from the closet.

She sighed, pulling her hand back to her and sliding down, further into the covers as she watched him tug them on. "I suppose you have to go to class now."

"Your supposing is right," he replied, taking his phone from the bedside table and slipping it into his pocket before pressing a kiss to her lips. Stubble brushed against her smooth skin, and she cupped his face before allowing him to go.