Chapter 1

Emmaline - Wednesday 3rd May

Its almost time to leave for the bus. I am sitting at the table eating my cornflakes in my perfectly ironed white t-shirt and spotless light pink skirt, Dad is reading the newspaper and Mum is at the stove. My sister headed to school on the early bus, she had to tutor some juniors in maths. She is such an over-achiever. "Emmaline?" mum is talking to me, I haven't been listening, "What mum?" mum repeats "You have to go, or you'll miss the bus." Jeez, I hadn't realised the time. I finish my cornflakes and put the bowl in the sink, then I grab my bag and say goodbye to my parents. Dad ignores me as usual and all Mum tells me is to make sure I stay perfect. 

As I arrive at the bus stop I see Camille, the definition of gossip. I put on the same smile I do every day and walk towards her. She sees me and waves. As I get closer I see that she is stood with two of the football jocks, Jake and Luke. Camille rushes up to me and starts bombarding me with all the usual gossip while Jake flirts with me. I'm nodding at all the right places and the occasional 'seriously' but i'm not listening. I'm staring at Kimiko, the town's bad girl. She's listening to music and popping gum while waiting for the bus. She sees me looking and smiles, I quickly turn back to face Camille as she starts talking about how much she hates Mr Telis. The bus rolls up and we get on. I sit at the back as usual and stare aimlessly out the window.

When we pull into the school I grab my perfectly clean backpack and head inside with Camille. As we get to our lockers Emily joins us. Emily and Camille are talking together like they didn't see each other just yesterday. I quickly say goodbye and I quickly walk to Maths. I sit down get my books out as Mrs Holland starts the lesson.