Chapter 7

Cold flurries of snow rushed into Steele's face as he ran alongside Kirby. He struggled to control the rage sizzling beneath his muscles. His plan was failing miserably. He had worked hard to earn the trust of the mail dogs, training with them in the days before the race, proving that he was the champion that they needed.

The slowing plane somewhere behind them would crash soon, ensuring their victory. It was rapidly leaking fuel. Steele had set everything up perfectly.

He had been delighted to learn that one of the mail dogs was Kodi, the son of Balto and Jenna. Two dogs who had cost him his reputation and fame, everything that had ever mattered to him. This was a cruel way to make them pay for it. Earn Kodi's admiration and replace Balto in his life. But during the race, Kodi and the other mail dogs had challenged him.

Maybe I snapped a little with Ralph. He thought. But that idiot was driving me mad. It was clear that when the race was over, the mail dogs would turn on him. Tell the town about what he did to Ralph. I'd never hear the end of it! Just like after the serum run!

It's time for plan B...His eyes narrowed to slits as he looked ahead at Kodi, whose red and white tail rippled in the wind in front of him. He lowered his gaze and studied Kodi's hind paws as they repeatedly drummed across the snow. He carefully judged his timing before he lunged forward to perform his signature move that had won him so many races.

***

Kodi let out a startled yelp as sharp teeth snapped near his hind paw. He instinctively leaped aside, and the next thing he knew, the team was spinning out of control. Snow and sky spun around him as he tumbled through the snow, hearing the startled howls of his teammates as they were forced down with him, tangling themselves in their harnesses.

The sled overturned, and while Ralph was able to leap off on time, Mr. Simpson let out a horrified yell as he was thrown from the sled and sent plummeting down the side of the snowy cliff. There was no way the musher could survive the fall.

When Kodi rolled onto his side and slowed to a stop against a mound of snow, he stumbled dizzily to his paws, shaking snow from his red fur. His heart raced with shock as he processed the experience. What happened?!

While the others regained their balance, he saw that Steele had already leaped out of his harness. He crouched further up the slope not far from Kodi, his eyes narrowed furiously. "It's a pity you couldn't stay loyal to me, Kodi!" He snarled. "You could have won this race!"

As Kodi took a wary step back, Dusty glared at Steele and shot over to him. "What do you think you're-"

Steele whirled to face her and bared his teeth. "Stay back there with those two fools!" He snarled. When Dusty ignored him and started toward Kodi, Steele turned and gave her a fierce push with his head. She let out a startled yell as she tumbled backwards, glaring at him angrily. Kirby was helping Ralph onto his stomach, casting a sorrowful look over the cliff where Mr. Simpson had met his fate.

"Steele!" Kodi choked out, stunned but returning Steele's glare defiantly. "What are you doing?"

The massive black and white husky's flanks heaved with anger, though his eyes gleamed as though he had long awaited this moment. "I lost everything because of that wolfdog, Balto!" He snarled. "Now, he's going to lose something too. Maybe not exactly how I intended." He grinned. "But this will work just as well."

As the enraged eyes locked intently on Kodi's throat, he took an alarmed step backwards. "W-wait! I-"

"I failed to keep Balto from returning to Nome. But I won't with you. You'll never get home!" There was a glimmer of insanity in Steele's eyes, cold as the icy hue they held. "The great Balto will never see his beloved son again. Nor will Jenna!" He spat the name with disgust. "Can't believe she chose to breed with that- that mutt instead of me! A champion!" He took a step forward, a growl rumbling in his throat. "You could have been a purebred husky. But you're nothing more than a wolfdog." He chuckled and bared his teeth. "Don't worry kid, you won't be for much longer."