Chapter 3 (Schedule)

I walk over to her table which is closest to us. There are three other girls and a boy sitting at her table. To her right was a dark skinned, black haired girl. In front was a short dark skinned girl with very straight, dark hair. To the left of that girl was a lighter skinned girl with wavy, brown hair. At one end of the table was a short, brown haired boy with a checkered sweater. I make my way over and sit at the other end of the table which is to the left of Jade. I feel my face burning as she smiles at me.

"We're just taking notes right now." Jade points at the book.

I nod. I take my notebook out and start writing. I felt someone watching me. I looked to the left across the room. There was a dark skinned guy sitting at another table, watching me. It's not a pleasant stare either. I feel very uncomfortable. A bell soon rings and I start to close my notebook. Jade grabs my hand. My heart drops. The memory of when we bumped into each other earlier came rushing into my head. The gentle, soft touch of her fingertips. I trace her arm to her face, just like last time. We stare at each other for about ten seconds, but it feels like an eternity.

She clears her throat, "T-That was just the ten minute bell. It warns us when we have to clean up since this is culinary class."

I stare at her feeling stupid, "Oh."

She removes her hand and the fire in my heart burns out. We finish up the class and the real bell rings. I pack up and look at my schedule. Photography. I grab Jade's hand before she walks out of class. She turns her head in shock.

I let go quickly, "Do you know where the photography class is?" I ask really fast.

She holds her books tight to her chest, "Yeah, that's actually my next class. You can walk with me."

She walks out of class and I become her shadow. Two of her friends call for her, but she gestures towards me.

"I'm going to walk with him today. He's new." She says.

The words "He's new" run through my mind. Is that why she's walking with me? More importantly, is that why she's being nice to me? My smile drops and so does my head. She doesn't notice. She takes an abrupt stop, which causes me to run into her. She freezes and her face flusters. I trace her glare and see a boy. Dark skinned, medium curly hair, striped shirt, ripped blue jeans, and perfect light brown eyes. I narrow my eyes at him as he makes his way over to us.

"H-Hey Bryce." Jade stutters as she chews on her bottom lip.

I roll my eyes and he bites down causing his jaw to move in perfect motion. He looks her up and down.

"So, are we still on for the photo shoot?" He asks with a smile.

"Yep." She replies.

He starts walking backwards, "I'll see you later then." He turns and walks away.

Jade lets out a huge sigh as if she was holding her breath. I look at her with worry.

"A-Are you okay?" I ask sincerely.

She straitens her back, "I'm fine."

She smiles at me and we continue to walk. As we approach the class, I have to ask her a question.

"Was that like your boyfriend or something?" I ask curiously, but not too obvious.

She replies, "Him? I wish."

I cringe at her response. I walk into the class, leaving her standing alone. The teacher shows me a seat and I take it. The whole class period was awkward. I would catch myself staring at Jade from across the room every now and then. She's running through my mind. Her and that Bryce guy would never make a good couple. Wait, am I jealous right now? I sigh and lean back in my chair. The bell rings and I look at my schedule. Economics. Great. I tap someone's shoulder. He turns and looks at me.