7 Minutes

A few words from the author...

First of all, the fact that you even decided to click on the cover for this story means so much to me; you honestly have no idea. Thank you. Thank you so much.

I originally wrote this for an under 4000 words contest. Therefore, there is only one chapter. Nevertheless, I hope you enjoy it!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Earth was burnt and battered; fried like a fish. Getting closer and closer to becoming nothing but an emotionless, endgame of unstoppable doom that used to be something known as beautiful. It had to lose its life. No one could help it. Stop it. Even just slow down death long enough for someone, anyone, to make it out alive. No one cared enough to really want to change things. Until the tides were gone, and the time turned to ashes along with the boiling trees.

"Seven." The radio said.

Max has never understood why, but that day, that fascinatingly important day never fazed from his thoughts. It stayed. It stayed more than it was ever welcome. 4 years ago, Max's family died. All it took was one colossal catastrophe to end civilisation. Overpopulation, polution, overfishing and, simply, the overuse of everything society relied on, lead to the end. As soon as the reaction started, it followed in a decisive chain. Clean water, electricity, hospitals, jobs, and all sense of right and wrong disappeared along with the population. Lack of hygiene equals disease, and disease was stalked by death. Max would never understand how he survived the outbreak; his family didn't.

Since those tragic times that he can hardly remember shook the Earth, Max had been exhausted. The world was always dying. Always. It was inevitable. However, the cities started losing their race to the heavens 4 years ago. It was unstoppable and unthinkable. Max wasn't prepared to lose everything. He distracted himself with their death to escape the real nightmares in his head. The demons that slithered like vines along the land; they crept up his legs and started pulling him down. The weight never left his stomach and the pull to give in to the pain never stayed in the locked box he pushed it into. That night, the one he wished would stay away from the front of his eyes.

3 years ago, Max glided upon a fallen building. Always a curious soul, he had to tip toe inside the aging walls. As soon as his eyes absorbed the death dripping from the ceiling, he spotted a crumpled leaflet. Soon it was in his hands. The front cover highlighted the best place to be. A hotel consumed with life and everything opposite to the destruction he had faced. A single tear of realisation skimmed his face. Max and his family were going to stay there. They were all packed. So close. Alas, their death came first. After that never-ending day, Max had felt destined for his end to be there. He could finish the journey they were all meant to complete. Plus, you could really see the sunset there. You could stare with your eyes wide open.

The sun was gorgeous, and, luckily, out of the Earth's reach. While the towers were tumbling and society came plummeting down, the sun was still burning bright. It comforted Max that, no matter what, the world would keep spinning and the sun would always be revealed. He was at awe to the constant nature of it.

Max was beyond determined to reach the dream land at the top of that hotel. He had been moving towards that target for the last 3 years; never stopping to look behind. However, for Max, life wasn't a smooth, tarmac running track. He had crept closer and closer. Day after day on the move. Now he was within reach; if his arms were a little longer, he could stretch and scratch at the front door. He could be the most annoying cat, but Max was running out of resources and losing his ever so strong will to never give up.