#1: Self-Absorption

Self-Absorption

Type Fours have the tendency to be excessively "into themselves." This is a particularly nasty flaw that I have struggled with for all of my life. 

Self-absorption is similar to the need for attention/approval bullet, since Fours are constantly concerned about (but not necessarily willing to change) their image, actions, and behavior.

Personally, social media is a self-worshiping vice I abuse far too often in the hopes of elevating my near-abysmal self-esteem. I do this by posting YouTube videos of mine, songs I've created, selfies, etc. 

Unfortunately, I notice that the only posts of mine that generate triple-digit numbers of likes are selfies. As a Type Four, I don't place much stock in pictures of myself, even though I am certainly vain. 

Why? Because selfies are, ultimately, in my eyes, shallow. Inauthentic. They, unlike the creative works I share, are not part of my personal identity, mission, or message.

Because my creative posts tend to generate so fewer responses than pictures, I can become easily discouraged. This ties into self-absorption because I have this faulty assumption in my mind that everyone who is on my feed should immediately drop what they are doing to come listen to/watch/read whatever I have made. 

Even though, hypocritically enough, I don't do the same for others.

Additionally, I have this contrary notion that everyone despises me. That I, unlike anyone else in the entire human race, am tragically flawed, different in a way that no other person could possibly hope to ever understand. 

I am the weirdest of the weird, the most unlovable and worthless person to ever blight the human race, and yet...interestingly enough, I also think I'm exceptional in ways that others are not.

Self-absorption certainly also manifests in ways apart from social media, in my real life. 

Most people who know me will tell you that I am impulsive and make decisions based upon self-interest as opposed to the good of others. I am also a severe daydreamer, forever stuck in my own private universe; more on that later.