Smart Cheaters

Lisa

 It would soon be our second anniversary and my wife, Jennie, and I were looking forward to celebrating it with style. Being young professionals in the Big Apple really put a significant strain in our relationship, and I could feel us drifting apart. To show her my love and commitment, I planned to celebrate our anniversary in South Beach Florida praying it would put some spark back into our marriage. 

        The plan was to return to the same joint where we first met. I had checked the place first to make sure it was still there and I was thrilled to find out that it was still owned by the same people and hadn't changed much at all. 

        I told Jennie I wanted us to go back there for a couple of weeks' vacation. She was so happy that it made me feel proud of myself. It was as if we would be reliving that very special night from five years ago. 

        I was a junior theater arts student when Jennie and I met. My Aussie friend suddenly got hitched and she had her very wild bachelorette party at the club's VIP room. Jennie was one of the bridesmaids and coincidentally, also a junior business major at a college I went to in the east coast.

        The first time I laid my eyes on her, I knew right then that she was the one. After three years of dating, we got engaged. I had to literally live on ramen and pizza to save up three months worth of proposal. My dad still supported me after I struggled to land an acting job after college but I didn't have the nerve to ask him for the ring, so I starved myself to save up. My girl deserved everything perfect. A year later, we intimately got married at a private island in the south of France.

        Since then, not a day has gone by that I ever was happier for making her my wife. 

        While Jennie was still getting ready, I snuck out and ran to the local florist for a bouquet of flowers. When I returned, I went up to our hotel room and knocked just as I had so many years prior. She was pleasantly surprised and invited me in with a big smile. After giving me a very sensual kiss, we were off to go. 

        My source was correct. The place hadn't changed, it was almost like going back in time as the maitre d' showed us to our table.

        After dinner, we moved into the lounge and sat at a table near the dance floor. They used to have live bands but now had a DJ playing a variety of tunes from big bands to the latest rock songs. I waited until he played something slow and romantic then asked Jennie to dance. I held her in my arms as we glided across the floor with her head comfortably resting on my shoulder. I was few inches taller and she molded into me like we were made for each other. It was perfectly romantic. 

        For the next hour, we never left the dance floor but we both needed a break. We were only back at our table a couple of minutes when a man approached. He was taller than me, obviously an Asian, Korean perhaps. 

        "Jennie? Kim Jennie?" he asked obviously knowing her from before she was married. 

        Jennie looked up at him. "Jongin? Kim Jongin?"

        The man grinned at her. "Yes, it's me. But I go as Kai now."

        "Oh, my God! It's really you. Yes, it's Jennie, but it's not Kim anymore. My God," she said standing up and giving him a big hug, "it's been so many years. How have you been?" she blurted out loud enough for the people at the other tables to hear. I noticed a woman one table away over-straining her ear drums in hopes of gathering some gossip for her treasure chest.