Chapter One: Lies and Secrets

When I saw Bruce Wayne outside Waverly Hall, I did a complete one-eighty and started back toward the Student Union Building. Unfortunately my escape attempt was in vein because Bruce had seen me and caught up before I could disappear.

"Chelsey," he called, stopping me in my tracks.

Straight face, show no fear, I told myself before turning around to face him.

"I can't do this right now," I said evenly. "I have an economics class to get to. We are about to review the study guide for the final."

"It can't wait. It's about your father."

Of course it was. Why else would Bruce track me down after two and a half years.

"The information I gave you wasn't enough?"

"Abra Kadabra is back at it."

"And how, exactly, does this connect back to my father?"

"Ned is the only one that can get his hands on that type of tech."

I shook my head. "That's impossible. You took the last of it two years ago. I always check when I'm home, Bruce, and he hasn't acquired any more."

It was Bruce's turn to shake his head. "The League and I compared the device that Abra Kadabra used in a heist three days ago to tech that he used three years ago. It's virtually the same, despite the fact that the Flash and Kid Flash confiscated everything in his possession and tracked down two separate stashes. The point is, we know your father is connected and I need your help."

"He can't be connected!" I sounded like a broken record, but I knew I was right. "I took part of his machine, something he couldn't replicate or replace."

To prove my point, I unclasped my necklace and pulled off one of the crystals. Bruce stuck out his hand and I passed him the stone.

"He bought it from Klarion and the machine doesn't work without its powers. Check with Doctor Fate or one of your other sorcerer friends."

"We still had a deal, Chelsey."

I cursed my naïve younger self and dug my nails into my palms. Working with the Justice League--especially Batman, the worlds greatest detective--put myself at so much risk. They could discover things I had tried so hard to forget, things that could put not just myself but the planet at risk.

Bruce sensed my internal conflict and gave me a better offer.

"If you help us stop Abra Kadabra and his supplier, who is presumably your father, I will pay for the rest of your time here at Gotham University."

I bit my lip, but accepting was inevitable. Paying for college on my own was difficult.

"Fine. But my classes take priority. This is my last class of the quarter and I have finals Monday and Tuesday. Let me focus on this and then I'm yours."