21: One Last Promise

"Tony?"

His eyes slightly open, flinching at the bright light above him.

"He's awake!"

His mother comes to view, tears taking over her eyes. She caresses his cheek carefully, afraid of causing more harm to his bruises. "How are you feeling, honey?" she asks with a quivering voice.

Tony tries to speak with his aching throat. "I've been better."

   Mrs. Sinclair chuckles, running her fingers through his hair. "There's someone else in here," she adds.

   He can't help but grin. "It's Andrew, isn't it?" As soon as he says that, his mother moves away and Andrew raises from the couch, walking up to Tony.

   Andrew remains quiet, intertwining his fingers with Tony's and bringing them to his lips. He leaves them there for a while, not wanting to let go.

   "How about you kiss me in the lips instead?" Tony offers.

   Andrew looks over his shoulder at Mrs. Sinclair.

   "Don't mind me," she says, waving them off. "I'll turn around if that makes you feel comfortable." So she does, giving them her back.

   "Thanks," Andrew says.

   With that, he holds himself to the side of the bed as he slowly leans down, bringing his lips close to Tony's. When they touch, a wave of relief ripples away from the two of them, assuring each other that everything will be alright.

   "I love you," whispers Andrew, eyes stuck on his boyfriend's orbs.

   Tony grins. "I love you, too."

   Andrew looks at Mrs. Sinclair once again. "You can look now."

   As she turns around, there are two knocks at the door. It slightly opens, allowing a blonde girl to peek in. "Can I come in?"

   Tony begins to feel tingles over his body and pressure in his chest as she watches her.

   "Of course," Mrs. Sinclair says.

   Lena comes in and Michelle follows behind.

   At the sight of her, the anxiety that was starting to take over Tony fades away. He sighs loudly and closes his eyes for a second, convincing himself that Michelle is alright.

   Mrs. Sinclair receives the girls with a tight hug after knowing what they've been through these last few months.

   They also greet Andrew with a side hug.

   "I will leave you three alone," Mrs. Sinclair mentions, heading to the door. "Andrew, can you help me find my other son?"

   He nods and follows her outside.

   Once the room is quiet, Lena speaks, "Are you okay?"

   "Assuming that I was kidnapped and drugged by my ex before flipping with his truck that happened to have a dead girl's body," he explains, "then yes—I'm okay."

   Michelle flinches at the 'dead girl' comment. She knows Karen will always be imprinted in her mind, reminding her of the suffering she brought and the killers she spawned to life.

   Tony asks next, "How are you, guys?"

   "Besides a few bruises, I am okay," Michelle finally decides to speak. There is a silence that comes after her words as the three teenagers recall the previous night and everything else they've gone through.