[ ♡ ] NOT YOUR FAULT - embalmer

pfft, i know valentine's already ended but please enjoy this because it's aesop and aesop is the greatest blessing god has gifted to us- he's my main uwu

genre: fluff

others: first POV, reader

▔▔▔

the weather was feeling unwell today, so it decided to pour a gush of water outside the manor. rain pelted against the marginally dirty window panes and it was kind of satisfying watching all that old grime dissolve. to be frank, i was glad that it was raining. the sound of raining lulls me to a deep slumber, easing me to wipe the exhaustion i've been carrying the past few weeks.

matches were still holding its pattern; decode, rescue, escape. decode, rescue, escape. the process repeats forever. and forever seems like a very long time- which it is. multiple matches are hectic because every time i finish one match, i've been called on to the next. hopefully, a catastrophe will interfere my labor-like routine.

this hope has been.. affecting me. it feels me with greed because i want myself to be stopped. i want everything to be stopped.

i've been unhealthy and been untreated unwell as the bad weather. there's a hole inside of me that needs to be filled significantly. it's not like it's a bad thing that i've been untreated. i have my peers that surround me, and they always seem happy.

the thing is, they're just my peers.

i can't distinguish the difference between a peer and a friend anymore. but perhaps friend is relative with 'acquaintance'? i'm afraid i don't know anymore.

i can call a certain mercenary an acquaintance, although he rescues me and compliments my hardwork during a match and/or after a match. so, less interaction. what about the doctor? she tends me my wounds but then she scolds me afterwards. that's about it.

❝ [your name]! do you know what tomorrow is? ❞ emma woods, the gardener. famous for dismantling rocket chairs and i guess she's an important asset. it's a shame that hunters are able to put the rocket chair back together in place, ❝ tomorrow is the day of love, i'm excited! ❞ she held both of my hands and shook them, i could feel the energy radiating through her fingers.

i laughed bitterly, ❝ the feeling is mutual, ❞

unaware of the sarcasm in my tone, she continued to be optimistic as she reminded everyone tommorow's eventful event. i had no reason to participate nor even celebrate.

a light tap on my shoulder halted my brief thoughts, ❝ huh? ❞ i blinked and turned around, ❝ o-oh, hello aesop. ❞ my tone slightly quivered and i mentally cursed at my timidity.

i brought myself to gaze at him, examining his appearance. his grey hair was neatly combed into a ponytail and my fingers itched to gently rake it. he dons his usual medical mask to cover his mouth as well as his gloves to cover his fingers. the silver hues of his eye carried some lightness in it, and it made me wonder what happened to make him so bright. his closed-jacket was open and it revealed a white turtleneck. it suits him. perfectly with his black pants that matched his black shoes.

aesop carl, the embalmer. known for ressurecting teammates before getting sent back to the manor, ahem, getting blasted back to the manor. too bad the second time they get chaired, the line has already past and if someone rescues them, they'll get downed again by the hunter. shortly after, getting chaired again and instantly to the manor.