ii.

I follow Soon Young's lead and we end up at a nearby restaurant. He sits down and beckons me over to sit in front of him. It's my first time to ever have dinner with someone else besides my mom. This makes me happy.

Soon Young politely calls the Ahjumma and orders samgyupsal for us. The food arrives after 5 minutes, which surprises me. The service is insanely fast here. 

Soon Young starts to cook the meat, "Ready to taste the best-cooked pork ever?"

"Uhm, It all tastes the same." I look at him, confused.

"That's where you're wrong!" 

"Enlighten me then." 

"Haven't you heard? I'm the best samgyupsal cook in town?" he jokes.

"Says who?" 

"Me!" he exclaims. The energy of this guy is impeccable.

Soon Young places the meat on my plate after  cutting it, "Eat well~" 

"Thank you," 

"I was surprised you said yes to this, I mean... you seemed to enjoy keeping to yourself a lot," he says. "I never thought all my years of constantly bugging you would finally pay off." he laughs, then pauses, he tilts his head then pouts, "So what gives?"

"I just thought, maybe, I should try something different," I explain.

"and I assume dancing is something different?" he asks, tilting his head back and smiles in excitement. 

I'm shy to even talk about dancing with him. I am nowhere close to being as good as him. I nod shyly and say, "I'm not as good as you."

"Of course not!" he exclaims, in a jokingly manner.

My eyes grew in disbelief, "wow..."

"Why?" he acts clueless.

"Since when did your head get filled with too much confidence," I comment.

"You're right," he laughs, "I'll give you some of mine."

"Oh, thank you," I say sarcastically then laugh.

"Okay, on a serious note though," he changes the tone of his voice, it became more caring. "You don't need to be the best, just enjoy it!" 

"That's what I'm doing," I smile.

"Since when did you start dancing?" he questions.

"Uhm, way back, I guess..." 

"I'd like to see Han Soo Ah dance." he grins at me, determined.

"Hmm, maybe one day." I try my best to put an end to the topic.

I stay quiet and keep eating, just so I don't have to talk. Soon Young's appetite has always been big; he eats like how he used to back in elementary. He devours his plate.

"Dinner's on me." He says, smiling.

"No, no," I shake my head, "You don't have to pay for me."

"But I will," he insisted, "think of it as me saying thank you."

"for what exactly?"

"For finally hanging out with me," he giggles.

»»————- ♡ ————-««

We exit the restaurant and he stands, looking at me.

"Are you taking the bus?"

"Yeah," I nod.

"I'll bring you home," he insists.

"No, you don't have you." I chuckle.

"I can't let you go home alone at this time," he jokes.

I look at my watch and it reads 7:24 PM — it's still early. What is he talking about?

I laugh, "It's still early."

"I don't think so," he keeps going, "back in Namyang-ju, it would already be lights-out at this time!"

I don't think I can argue with him any longer so I give up, "alright then."

"Where do you live?" he asks.

"Near Hyochang Park," I reply.

"Let's go then!" he yells, excited.

Soon Young and I walk to the bus station and wait.

"Do you live alone?" he asks, curious again.

"Yeah," I say, "My mom's back in Namyang-ju."

"Same with my family, too!" 

Years I've spent being a social outcast hasn't trained me to keep conversations flowing. I stand there and pretend not to notice the awkward silence I was creating.

"Doesn't it scare you?" he questions.

"It does," I reply, "a lot, actually."

"hey," he pats my shoulder, "sometimes scary is a good thing."

A bus arrives and we get on. The bus is full, so Soonyoung lets me have the remaining empty seat, while he stands, looking down at me.

"Have you gone around Seoul yet?" 

"Not yet," I answer.

"Let's go somewhere tomorrow!" he suggests.

"Uhm, yeah, let's see." I smile.

The bus ride took 25 minutes to reach Hyo Chang Park. Soon Young follows my steps leading to the front door of my small home, "this is me." I turn to Soon Young and give him a smile.

 He smiles back at me.

"Goodnight, Han Soo Ah."