Chapter 1 - The Arrival

At least a dozen men were pursing him from what he could tell as he crashed through the woods toward camp. Jason wasn't sure how they found him again or even how far they would go to catch him, but he wasn't about to find out. 

"Dammit! If I didn't get so close to them earlier they wouldn't have found me to begin with." Jason thought out loud as his pursuers inched closer.

 He continued running until his lungs felt like they were going to burst, and then finally, silence. 

"I think I lost them."

 He slowed down to a jog until he reached a small clearing. He knew that going through the clearing would be a mistake, but it would be the fastest way back to camp. He caught his breath and took off in a dead sprint. When he was about 50 yards from the edge of the clearing he saw the outline of a single man emerge from the opposite side of the clearing. He was walking straight towards him.

 "How the hell did he get in front of me?!" Jason asked himself exasperated.

 The man held out his hand and a ball of flame ignited in his palm.

 "Dpnf pvu opx! Xf ep opu xbou up ivsu zpv!" the man yelled. 

Jason kept his rifle trained on the man, ready to fire. "I can't understand a word this guy is saying." Jason said to himself.

 As the man inched closer Jason yelled for him to stay back. He then fired a warning shot. The man continued to walk closer, smiling. Jason fired a round into the man's leg, stopping him in his place. It was then the man hurled a huge ball of fire at Jason. He dove behind some rocks as the projectile splashed down not more than 10 feet from him, causing the damp area around it to explode. Some shrapnel got lodged in Jason's leg causing him to immediately wince in pain. 

"Alright motherfucker, I tried to play nice, but you had to go and do this!" 

He took aim and fired once more, hitting his would be assailant through his forehead. He got back up and continued toward camp, leaving a trail of blood behind him.

One day earlier

     "So you are going where to camp?" Samantha asked.

 "I am heading up to a place called Devil's Den. I will be setting camp there." Jason replied.

 "But why there?" Samantha asked. 

"From what I have been told, there are some huge white tails there. Also the trout there are huge." Jason stated. "I have to head out to sign out. I will be back in a bit." He leaned in and gave his wife a kiss before heading out the door.

      As Jason drove toward headquarters he thought about how lucky he was to have a family like his. The have been married for more than ten years, and have two kids together, a boy and a girl. When they first started talking, he never would have guessed they would have even started dated. As he finally pulled into the parking lot of HQ, he pulled himself out of his day dream. He jumped out of his Jeep and began walking toward the staff duty desk to sign out. When he reached the desk one of his buddies was already there waiting for him. 

"Hey bro! I will meet you on the mountain tomorrow night right?" David asked. 

Wait, why tomorrow? We were supposed to go out there together to save gas. You know I drive a floating brick! I barely get 12 MPG!" Jason responded.

"I Know, but the Armorer is out on leave until tomorrow and I cant get my rifle until then. Disadvantage of living in the barracks right? David said rolling his eyes.

"Well shit, I guess I don't have a choice in the matter then.  I am leaving in a bit so I will be there tonight. I will go ahead and set up camp before you get there." Jason replied.