Chapter 1: Roots of Evil (1/4)

Joshua.

Knock, knock, knock.

"Joshua, it's time to wake up."

I wish she would stop waking me up like that. "Coming."

I slightly open my eye to see if the room isn't too bright. It isn't, which means it's a cloudy day. Good. I slowly stand from my bed and make my way to the bathroom. I use the toilet and then to the mirror.

My name is Joshua Belmont Reese, I am twelve years old. I'm not like the other kids you see, there's something about me that makes me different.

What is it you may ask? I'll tell later, after we spend the day together.

The first thing I do in the morning is take a shower to wake up properly. After I finish in the bathroom, I go back to my room to get dressed.

My room is as unremarkable as it gets. A bed, a closet, a table with a computer, a small tv with a video game on top of it and a little table beside the bed with a lamp on it. The walls are grey with no posters or drawings. Pretty boring room, to be honest.

I'm going generic today: light blue jeans, black and white canvas shoes, a grey t-shirt and a white hoodie.

After putting my generic outfit on, I go downstairs for breakfast.

"Morning Alma," I greet her.

This is Alma. She is a sixty-two years old small, fragile woman with white hair and walks with a cane. She's super nice. Her husband died a year and a half ago and she decided to get herself some company by adopting a child in need.

I'm an orphan you see. I used to live with my mother but she died when I was eight. After that, I had to live in a very beat down Orphanage that I detested. But then some rich scumbag decide that he wanted to buy it, so he paid a bunch of thugs to constantly sabotage the place. I really don't want to describe the things they did because there was a lot of it. But it worked and the Orphanage was sold, so most of the children had to be transported to a different Orphanage.

My case was different though. The headmistress actually was fond of me for some reason, so she suggested me when Alma was looking for a child to adopt. When Alma saw me, the decision was instant.

Talk about misjudgment.

Today's breakfast was eggs and bacon. I eat it all without a second thought. Then I go back upstairs to brush my teeth. After that, I started to do my hair.

I have an emo haircut. Why? I have Heterochromia, my left eye is sapphire blue but my right eye is emerald green. I prefer to cover the right eye with my bangs. Plus, the fact that I have jet black hair makes everyone think I'm a emo.

I'm not.

After finishing my hair. I go back to my room to grab my cellphone and my bag. I check my phone to see if there are any messages.

Just one.

Lydia: My house or school?

Joshua: Your house.

Lydia: Fuck...

After answering, I make my way downstairs and walk to the refrigerator to grab a sandwich before I leave the house.

"Bye Alma."

"Have a good day at school," she says in return.

I live in a town called Stranding Haven. I can't call it a small town, since it has a considerable size. The town is divided in four areas.