Chapter 4

“So what were you guys talking about? You need to tell me.”

“I’ll tell you later. It’s irrelevant” Emily tried to explain.

I still didn’t believe that it truly didn’t matter, but she’s my best friend, and I have to believe her.

Matt dropped me off at my house. I gave him a big thank you and a wink to Emily. As soon as they drove off, I grabbed my phone and texted her:

-don’t get too involved ** you know what I mean-

She replies within minutes:

-**

I smile to myself, and unlock the door into my house. ‘she’s nuts’ I say to myself. That’s why she’s my best friend.

I start thinking about Shawn again, I’m not really sure why. I don’t think I like him, maybe I’m secretly just like all those other fan girls? It’s crazy though, he would never notice me.

I go climb up the stairs, and fling myself onto by bed, grabbing my phone.

I don’t know what got into me, but I searched up Shawn on the internet, and watched every video and looked at all of his social media sites. I didn’t realize how popular he actually was! And really good looking too. No wonder every girl in the school swarmed him.

It’s true, what they say. Never judge a book by its cover. Shawn is the book. I haven’t talked to him, ever, but looking him up is like reading the back of the book. It lets you know just the little bit of the huge lives they lead. I’ve judged him, but not in a bad way; at least I don’t think so.  I think he is a really nice guy, and I should try to make an effort to talk to him.

That’s where the speed bump comes in. How can I talk to him, when he has an outer shell about 3 metres thick of girls around him at all times? Maybe I can get his phone number? Or put a note in his locker?  Nah, that’s way too old stream. Then, if I ever do end up talking to him, how can I convince him that I’m not like all those other girls? How can I show him that I’m different?

*****

After hours of listening to Shawn’s songs, I decide to start making dinner. I invite over Emily for dinner, and of course, before she even asked, I said Matt could come.

I decided to make Spaghetti.

I put the pasta on the plates just as Matt and Emily knocked on the door. I smiled to myself and opened the door, welcoming them into my house. It technically isn’t mine though, I live here with my dad and sister, but they are always out.

I serve the plates to the 3 of us, and Matt says thank you, with Emily following his lead.

“No problem. I’m always glad to have the two of you over” I reply.

Silence fills the room as we all start eating. I think to myself, as I always do. Matt seems really nice. I’m so glad that he’s with Emily. I couldn’t imagine either one of them with another person.  The way they both sparkle and light up when they are near each other, and how you can tell, they make each other so happy.

My thoughts are interrupted by Matt, exclaiming;

“Hey! Spaghetti! Like lady and the tramp! We should do that Emily!”

I chuckle to myself as they struggle to find two ends to a spaghetti piece. Once they finally get it, I am amazed, so I watch them, trying to hold back a laugh. It’s not really working, and I’ts contagious. Matt and Emily start giggling too.

They slowly slurp up the pasta, until they both meet in the middle. Matt and Emily start kissing, very noisily, and like nobody else was there. I stop laughing and just sit and smile. After a couple of seconds, I tell them;

“Hey you two, cut it out, or go get a room!”

Both Matt and Emily break apart and start laughing. Sure enough, they get up and go into the spare room, and soon after they disappear behind the door, I hear a small click, meaning the door was locked. I momentarily sit there, now all alone at the table.

I know they knew it was a joke, and I didn't really mean for them to actually leave.

But it’s whatever makes them happy, right? Isn’t that how friends are supposed to feel?

All of the sudden, like a large wave crashing on the beach, I get a sense of longing. A sense of wanting someone that’s there for me, someone to love me and make me feel special. The image of Shawn keeps popping up in my head, but I try my best to push it away. After trying that, I give up and admit it to myself.

I want a guy like Shawn.