White Horse

I should’ve known, I should’ve known.

“Mate, I have something to tell you” I hear my good friend say. Harry had texted me earlier this morning, telling me to meet up with him at the Cafe just off of campus. I figured that it was important so I agreed.

“What is it?” I reply to him as I took a sip of my Yorkshire tea. Yorkshire tea has always been my favorite; and it seems that this little shop was the only one in town that carried it. Not to mention; they made it to perfection with a drop of honey and a small pour of milk-- my favorite.

Harry took a sip of his coffee and returned it to the table.

“I don’t know how to put this” He started and I began to quiver. I had an idea of what he was about to tell me but I decided to hear on.

“Remember when you and I went to the concert in Bristol?” Harry asked me. I nodded in agreement and he continued.

“Apparently Cassandra had hooked up with Dylan during our absence” He said and the quivering turned into my heart sinking into my stomach. I began to heat up and I just stared at my tea. This wasn’t the first time that I’ve found out about Cass hooking up with other guys behind my back.

“How do you know?” I managed to say a few minutes later.

“His roommate, Zayn told me. Zayn and I were in the lounge watching some TV and I began talking to him about the concert I went to with you. He recognized your name and I think he remembered that you are dating Cassandra. He told me that Dylan had brought Cassandra over after a small party that some kid Niall was throwing.” Harry said to me and the beating of my heart only sped up.

“Are you sure he knew it was Cass?” I asked Harry hoping that Zayn may have switched her name with another.

“Well, Zayn’s in Cassandra and my math class. I guess it’s a possibility but I’m near certain that he knows who she is” He tried to assure me and I took a the last sip of tea that was in my cup. I place the cup on the table and move it aside by my forearms as I rest my head on my arms. I stayed in the laying position for a while. There were tears falling from my eyes, but I was too embarrassed to let Harry know. He’s seen me cried time and time before, but I’ll never feel comfortable with doing it.

He put an arm out and gave my shoulder a pat.

“It’ll be alright, mate” He gave his best attempt to be sympathetic to me, but I knew he understood that I needed time.

“I’ll talk to you later” He said to me as I could hear his chair scratch the floor as it was pushed behind him. He left the cafe and I remained in my spot for the next half hour with the tears pouring from my eyes, and my heart breaking as I could only picture Cassandra in my head.

***

Say you’re sorry, that face of an angel

Comes out just when you need it to.

As I pace back and forth all this time

‘Cuz I honestly believed in you.

“Saying ‘You’re Sorry’ will not help you this time” I said. I looked over to the couch and saw my beautifully sinister girlfriend sitting with her legs crossed underneath her. Her petite body is covered by a white sundress and her brunette hair has been curled today and is hanging over her small shoulders. I look at her blue eyes, and glance at her pouting lip.

I’ve been pacing around her living room for about 30 minutes now, trying to put the pieces together in my mind to understand why she did this to me.