Reality 2

I sigh in the dark as police sirens echo over my rerun of Dirty Dancing; the perfect movie for heartache. What can be more heartbreaking than catching the supposed love of your life with another woman? My subconscious spaces out and all I feel are my frozen tears underneath my burning, rose eyes. The torment‒that this man put me through has chipped away at me, I have become a porcelain doll at the edge of a high table. A sudden phone call drags me back into reality, I take a deep breath in as I look at the caller ID. I exhale a breath of relief, it's my best friend Naomi.

She has been my personal therapist and has given me boundless support, if it weren't for her, I would most likely be dead. Summoning whatever strength I have left, I answer the phone. "Hello?" Naomi replies, sounding ecstatic. "Mia! Guess what we're about to do." Unknowingly smirking, I try to rack my mind about what it could be. Then she cracks. "You and I are going to a club ‒tonight." My face drops. "Naomi..." She cuts me off  "Mia, sooner or later you're gonna need some fresh air, just, do it for me. Please?" As a reflection of my conscience, my body tenses up. I faintly reply "Fine." "Yes! You're not gonna regret this okay? I promise. I'll be there in thirty minutes." In what actually felt like thirty seconds, Naomi and I are arriving outside the club. Instant doubt holds me captive "I don't think I can do this." Naomi reassures me. "Just stick with me, and tonight is going to be amazing. Alright?"  I nod with confidence, but, what am I really getting myself into? Naomi grabs my hand and leads me straight to the bar. A few drinks later and I don't even remember the word heartbreak. In the middle of my fourth margarita, I decide that I want to dirty dance the night away. I steal Naomi to tango with me on the dance floor. "Wait I forgot my drink!" I yell over the near-deafening music. Stumbling back to the bar, I chug the rest of my margarita.

As I turn back around, the distance between Naomi and I stretches into an airport runway. I make my first step toward her, and instantly everyone shifts into the speed of a sloth. Oh God. I look to Naomi for guidance but I'm not in her line of sight. What's happening to me? My tongue sinks like a rock in water, while simultaneously my limbs become helpless. In a matter of seconds, I'm completely incapacitated.  Laid out on the floor, my sight is hazy and my breathing intermittent. An ear-splitting scream coming from the crowd is the thing I remember.