Trevor

A bright blur exploded as Trevor awoke and parted his eyelids. His brow furrowed as he squinted and blinked profusely to adjust to the brightness. Sight returned and Trevor looked around the room to get his bearings. Momentarily, he thought to himself, "where am I?" His memory reminded him that he had surgery and he must have been in a hospital room. Still under the effects of anesthesia, he shifts his vision to focus on the white blob entering the room.

"Everything went great!" An attractive female surgeon stood over Trevor's hospital bed reporting the successful open-heart surgery she performed moments ago.

Trevor, a nineteen-year-old born with a heart defect, swallows a dry lump in his throat to find his voice, "thanks Doc." Looking around the fluorescent lit hospital room, he questions, "So when can I get outta here?"

Chuckling, the doctor responds, "Well, you just had major heart surgery. You'll have to stay a few days for observation."

"Whatever you say lady." Trevor slurred as the fresh dose of morphine rushed through his veins.

Patting Trevor on the arm, the surgeon dismisses herself, "I'm going to let you get some rest now."

Smiling in response, Trevor nods as the doctorflips the switch on the wall by the door and exits the room. Trevor's mind turnsinto a melting pot of nothingness while he stares deeply at the ceiling tilesabove his head. He begins following the lines around each tile and counting thesquares as he goes. Trevor slowly relaxes his head, drops his eye lids, anddrifts asleep.