I Think it's Time for a Break

Later in the day, Longtooth and I were instructed to go to the stairs of the temple. So, by then, we were standing at the top of the steps.

The sun was harsh today. I was sweating but I ignored it, every now and then I would wipe the sweat away. Longtooth was standing in the shade. Lucky him... "Hey Boy, do you want to switch spots? If you stand too long in the sun, you'll eventually overheat and burn yourself" he asked. I looked at him and smiled "Don't worry about me Longtooth, I'm fine!" What another filthy lie. As I looked at him I saw his worried expression. "As your General, I insist you take my spot, you need it more than me," he said with a strict tone.

I still refused. I know I can be stubborn. Longtooth's expression was now a harsh look. He walked up to me with that look. It actually scared me. "Leonidas. Go in the shade." I was scared, yes. But I refused. He grabbed my arm and tried to drag me into the cool shade to help me. But I still resisted. "Longtooth let me go! I'm okay! Really! I am!!" I tried to calm him. But he wouldn't listen and kept trying. As I started to tug and try to free myself, the sun let out such a powerful wave of heat that I felt weaker than usual.

My arm was able to slip out of his grip. "Leonidas! Why are you resisting?" He asked angry and confused. "Longtooth! I'm fine! I am, really!! I'm-" I suddenly felt...dizzy...weak...and unable to stand. The next thing I knew I was lying on the floor. My spear not too far away and Longtooth next to me calling for help. I could barely hear what he was saying. I only made out the words: Hang in there, I'm here, you'll be fine, and try to rest. Everything went dark and I passed out from overheating.

I woke up a few hours later in the Infirmary of the Lion city. I was lying on a bed with a cold towel on my forehead. I suddenly felt a cold cloth being rubbed on my chest. It sent shivers down my spine and signaled the Nurse that I was awake. "Good evening Soldier" She said taking the cloth off of my chest. I rubbed my eyes. "G-Good evening..." "Good to see you're awake, the General suddenly roared for medical help and made us all worried" She explained.

I thought about that and realized something. I sat up and looked at the Lioness Nurse. "How long was I unconscious?" She looked outside. "About 3 hours" "3 hours!? I'm in so much trouble-" she put her hand on my shoulder. "Calm down young Soldier, lie back down" I lied down and closed my eyes. I wanted this to be a dream...that I just...fell asleep and I'd wake up in my bed.

After what felt like an hour of the nurse slowly lowering my body temperature with a cold cloth, I heard footsteps coming towards us. "That'll be all, Nurse" I heard someone say. I opened my eyes and saw she was bowing down to Lagravis and she left. He and Longtooth walked up to me and stood by my bed. "Good evening, Leonidas" Lagravis spoke. "Good evening Sir" I replied with my most respectful tone. "Are you feeling better? You had us worried," he asked . I nodded and replied that I was fine, I just passed out from the heat. That's all.

"I tried to have him stay in the shade but he was resisting sir," Longtooth explained. " I know you did Longtooth" Lagravis replied. I could only listen to their conversation. "Leonidas, tell me, have you...been feeling stressed lately?" Lagravis asked. Oh god...I always hated to answer these kinds of questions. Lying seems just so wrong... I stayed quiet. I think the silence was enough for Lagravis to understand I wasn't alright. "Leonidas, I think Longtooth and I can agree you need a few days off. You haven't been well and some time off can help" he explained.

Longtooth and I were surprised. "N-No No sir! I don't need the break! It's just a one time thing-" "Decision is final Leonidas. Starting today, you're on break until you feel better" he said. I gave up and now...I felt like I lost the one thing that made me feel like I had a meaning...now? I'm nothing...

I guess I was so deep in thought that I didn't realize Longtooth and Lagravis were already gone. I sighed and laid in the bed of the Infirmary. People say a break is made to relax...but for me?

That's how I started to descend into madness...