Madeline Larison

My name is Madeline Larison, I am 12 years old.

Charlison Brown knocked on the door to our home, and I looked up from my book at the table. Mom goes to see who it is, while dad finishes making our breakfasts. Mom comes back with Charlison, whom she invites to stay for breakfast since he was already here. He and dad were good friends, and both worked at the same hospital; while my dad was a cardiac surgeon, Charlison was a neurosurgeon. He and my father talked for a bit, and I soon realized I was becoming tired. I've been tired a lot lately, and dizzy too.

After breakfast, dad and mom sat with me and Charlison at the table. Dad began with saying that he wanted us to take a family vacation together, Charlison included. Mom chimed in with going to the beach, or a cabin in the mountains. I just nodded my head, and pretended to care. I wasn't feeling good as the medication mom, and dad, got me makes me feel sick, and the frequent appointments don't help either. The weird machine I lay under, and the ones where I sit in a chair and have a tube stuck in me for a bit, it tires me.

The week went by fast, and soon it was Friday morning, and we were setting out to go on vacation. It's a little weird mom and dad have just planned it with Charlison with a week's notice, but I'm not one to complain. Mom found a nice beach house we get to rent out, and the view of the ocean is amazing. The first thing mom and I did when we got there, was sit outside in our bathing suites; it's a lot of fun sitting with mom, listening to her talk. I heard dad open the door to the patio, and say to mom that he wants to order delivery. Mom and I set up a fire in the pit in the sand just a bit from the patio, and so dad and Charlison came down with the food. I sat beside mom that night, wrapped in a blanket, eating the rest of my supper. Afterwards, mom helped me make some s'mores; they were so delicious.

We spent two more days there, every night us having dinner by the fire, and s'mores after. But, mom and dad were weird today.They acted like something was gunna happen today. I can't understand it.

At dinner that night, I felt even more tired than ever. Mom and us decided to stay in and watch a movie instead of a fire. So we did, but I fell asleep halfway through. Mom was petting my hair as I lay my head on her lap. We had popcorn, and pop, some things I'm not normally allowed to have. I don't know why they are acting so oddly, and I don't know why I feel so sick today. My stomach especially.

Everything went silent, I felt unable to move or speak, and my vision faded. I could barely make sense of anything, including seeing my mom and dad suddenly jump up and grab me. I could see their lips moving in what might've been a scream or yelling, but I couldn't hear them.

I woke up, and stared at the white ceiling that I know all too well. I dreaded being here, I don't even know what has made me come back here over and over and over. I still can't hear my parents, and my head feels dizzy. I looked around, mom and dad leaned over at me talking to me, and mom was touching my face. I gave them a smile, not knowing what was going to happen. But I didn't want them to worry, I didn't feel sick anymore.

I closed my eyes, and felt my body grow weightless. I saw my body in the dreary bed, with the machines and breathing tubes. The beeping alarm hasn't gone off yet. I wish I didn't have to do it here, in this dreary place. I was hoping it would be somewhere beautiful, or maybe the radiation treatments would've worked and I'd be free. But we don't always get what we want, and sometimes maybe it's for the best.

My name is Madeline Larison, I was 12 years old.