Chapter 4 - Family Issues

© 2013 Sandra Corton

Chapter 4 – Family issues

Lucy sat in detention twiddling her thumbs hoping that Daz didn’t find out she got detention on her first day back. She was not in the mood for another ridiculous lecture. Silence surrounded her and the rather bored looking teacher.

At first she thought she was hearing things. Then that maybe it was somebody’s iPod that was way too loud. She tilted her head as the sound got louder before she realised it was coming from outside the room.

A guitar was gently strumming out a beautiful melody that Lucy had never heard before. The bored teacher looked up from her marking as she heard it before she sent Lucy a wry grin.

“I guess that’s enough punishment for today Lucy. Try and stay out of trouble from now on okay and no more bets.” She said and Lucy sent her a grateful smile before packing her bag and racing from the room.

She was startled when she bumped into Ash in the hallway who looked at her a bit sheepish. Her mouth dropped open in shock at the guitar he had a firm hold off.

“Wait that was you?” She asked feeling a bit overwhelmed by him.

Who was this guy that sung in front of the entire school without fear or embarrassment? Not only has that but brought his guitar to strum a few tunes as well. Ash had to be the most confusing guy she had ever known.

“I felt bad for you having to do detention because of me, so I thought I’d keep you company.” He said with a shrug.

“What was that you were playing? It was really beautiful.”

“Uh just something I’m working on at the moment.” He said rather shyly as she led the way out of the building.

“Wow you can play guitar.” Her voice was full of awe and envy.

“Yeah it’s not too hard to learn. I could teach you if you want.” He said with a grin.

“I would love to but I have the worst affinity with instruments. If Mrs Moore saw me in the music room again I think she would faint.” Lucy said sadly and Ash burst into laughter.

“You can’t be that bad.” He insisted as she walked over to her car.

“They would only let me play the triangle. So yes I was that bad.” She stated emphatically only making him laugh harder.

“So where do you want to go on the weekend?” Ash asked after his laughter had died down.

“Uh I’m not sure but there is one thing you will have to do before then.” She said rather uneasily.

“Which is?” He asked as he bumped his shoulder with hers while leaning on the car next to her.

“You have to come over and meet my family. They won’t let me go out with anyone they haven’t met.” She said it quickly hoping he would understand.

“Okay I get that. When do you want me to come over?” He replied which only made Lucy gape at him.

“So you’re not worried about meeting my family?” She asked in amazement.

“Not exactly. I’m terrified of meeting your family just in case they hate me. But I really want to go out with you on the weekend.” He said seriously which only made Lucy smile.

“They won’t hate you.” Lucy promised “How about tomorrow night. I’ll go ahead and tell them tonight so they will be already.”

“Yeah okay, It’s gotta beat any meal that I could make.” He joked as he reluctantly pushed away from her car so she could get in.