Chapter 4: Everything is Business

Alexander POV

The door shut behind us, as Rupert showed Salita the way out. She was cute, had a little fire to her, but nothing could compare to my Jevena. She and I had been together since highschool, she was exciting and sometimes spontaneous. We got wrapped into the mafia at a young age, we didn't have much of a choice.  Her fire red hair was one of her best features, she had striking blue eyes and dimples in her cheeks. Jevena had a mean streak in her, but I liked a woman with a little bit of aggression. "Darling, what are you thinking about?" she asked me, pulling me from my thoughts. "Just you" I looked up at her. I was hopelessly in love with her, but things lately were different. It was like she couldn't stand the sight of Salita, since we went to the bakery. Jevena was the one that reported her, it was like she was determined to crush her. Me being the dedicated boyfriend that I was, I went along with it.

"Awe, you're so sweet" she kissed me tenderly. "Jevena, did you go to that nightclub?" I asked her. She could get wild and out of control, it was a habit she had broken a while ago. "You believe that bitch over me?" she was pissed. "Baby, I just asked a question" I groaned. I knew she was lying to me. "Fuck you, Alex" she got off my lap. "The fuck did you just say to me?" I got in her face.  We had our moments of lashing out, some days it was unspeakable what we said to each other. Our love had it's toxic moments, but we were tied to each other. "I said fuck you, if you believe that bakery bitch over me" she pushed against my chest. I grabbed her wrists, pushing her up against the wall. "Don't lie to me kitten" I said to her firmly. "Fine I went ,I wanted to see what it was like here" she pouted. "And did anything else happen?" I locked eyes with her. "No I promise" her blue eyes were innocent. "Okay" I let go of her wrists. "I'm sorry" she said softly. "I believe you, you know our image is important to protect, no one can know  why we're here" I told her. "I know" she nodded.

As if on cue my phone rang, it was the Commissioner. "Smirnov here" I answered. "Ah, Alexander and Jevena, it's always good to see your faces" the commissioner said. "And yet I never see yours" I laughed. The commissioner was private, she always kept a black screen and we never knew her name. "Well, today that will change" her Russian accent drawled. The line disconnected and there was a knock at my office door. "Do you think it's her?" Jevena looked at me wide eyed. "It has to be" I shrugged. I opened the door to see a simple looking woman, wearing an apron around her waist and a Bettie's Bakery logo on her top. "Can I help you ma'am?" I asked.

"That's Commissioner to you" her face was stern. "Oh, Commissioner " Jeneva and I bowed slightly. It was a way of respect to the higher ups. "Tell me, did my employee come and apologize?" she asked. "She did, wait, you own the bakery?" I was confused. "I do, around here I go by Bettie, but you may call me Dorinda" she said. "Nice to finally meet you" we shook hands. "So, let's talk business" she sat in my office chair and put her feet on the desk. I wanted to tell her to get up, but I wouldn't dare. "Oh that's Alexander's chair" Jevena blurted out. "Jevena" I glared at her. "Respect your elders Jevena, I'm sure Alexander doesn't mind, do you? Dorinda asked.

"Not at all" I grimaced. "Good, now before I was interrupted, there is a new assignment for you two" she slapped a file down on the table. I picked it up, opening it to see what was inside. "Mallia Malkova, who is she?" I asked. "Well, she is someone who doesn't know who she is" the commissioner said. "Meaning, what exactly?" I flipped through the file, there were only young photos of this girl. "Mallia's father was in our debt, he worked for us at the EMA or as you may call it the Elite Mafia Assassins, he was killed two years ago" Dorinda cleared her throat "as you know the rules are once you're in the EMA, the only way to get out is to be killed or to be bought out depending on your rank" she stated.

"Yes, the rules have been set in stone for generations" I nodded in agreement. "Correct, when Mallia was four she was sent to a top secret facility here in Eureka Springs, her memory was erased, she was adopted and her name was changed." Dorinda said grimly. "Her father was trying to protect her from being next in line" I said as if a light bulb went off. "He was and he has done that well, but she owes us now, as it turns out he stole money from the EMA and sent it here" Dorinda continued. "I'm sure it was to whoever adopted her into their family" Jevena chimed in. "Probably, but we're not sure if she even knows she is adopted" Dorinda sighed. "Shit, so we could be blowing up her life" I said, feeling bad.

"It's business Alexander, it may be shitty but this is not on us we simply have a job to do" Jevena said, she had no sympathy for anyone except for the ones she cared about. "She is right," Dorinda agreed with Jevena. "It has been a challenge to track her down, I set up my bakery here two years ago and still no luck" she sighed.  "I need all eyes on this, which is why you were stationed here" she continued. "So how will we find her, are we supposed to kill her?" I asked. "She supposedly has a birthmark on her lower back shaped like a heart, when you find her I want her brought to me" Dorinda fiddled with her cellphone. "She will then have a choice to pay off the debt or be killed" she said coolly. Jevena and I nodded in agreement. This lifestyle could be so somber. "I'll send you the rest of the images, when I have them" Dorinda stood up to leave. "Yes, commissioner" we bowed. "Oh and remember, you have not been placed here to make friends ,everything is business" she reminded us. "We understand" Jevena and I said. "Good, we'll be in touch" she said in an American accent and walked out the door. 

Hi Guys, this was a shorter chapter just to give you a glimpse of Alexander's life and more about what he does. Like/comment below. There will be more unexpected surprises coming, so stay tuned. Thanks for reading!