Chapter 1

“I swear by God this sacred oath:

That I shall render unconditional obedience to Adolf Hitler

Führer of the German Reich and people,

Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces,

And that I shall at all times be ready, as a brave soldier, to give my life for this oath…”

Tunisia, North Africa.

“The Führer’s promises of peace and prosperity have fallen by the wayside, leaving in their wake a path of destruction. The outrages committed by Hitler’s SS are a stain on the honor of German Army. There is widespread disgust in the officer corps towards the crimes committed by the Nazis, the murder of civilians, the tortures and starvation of the prisoners, the mass execution of jews… My duty as an officer is no longer to save my country, but to save human lives. I cannot find one general in the position to confront Hitler with the crutch to do it.”

-          Colonel Payne, the general will come in 4 hours.

-          Thank you, I need to see him when he arrives. – Payne said as he closed his journal.

Liam Payne was sent to the North of Africa to join the 10th Panzer Division as its Operation Officer in the General Staff. He was a tall, strong, brown-eyed man in his 30s. He already had a huge family. He was married to Sophia Payne, a young lady born in the Imperial Russia. They had 5 children.

“I found myself surrounded by men and women who weren’t able to face the truth. Hitler is not only the arch-enemy of the entire world, but the arch-enemy of Germany. A change must be made.”

Payne stood up and looked out of the tent. The Nazi flag was waving, proud of itself, in the morning wind.

4 hours later, the General arrived. The soldiers were wearing their khaki uniforms and the air they breathed was full of the dusty that the cars were making.

-          We should have left two days ago! – Payne said, decisive.

-          No, Colonel. We’ll keep fighting, until the final victory.

-          We’ve lost all of North of Africa. You’ll soon need these men to defend Berlin. We can serve Germany, or the Führer, not both.

The General, with an arrogant face, said:

-          Just now saw the topic as you were sent here, Colonel.

-          What I said was much worse, sir. I’m just trying to get these men out of here with life.

The General looked at his escort with a serious face and he moved one meter away.

-          And what would you do? – said the General as he leaned forward to Payne.

Payne whispered his ideas. He wanted to join another Panzer Division.

The General hesitated.

Payne kept explaining what he had to do.

He finally agreed.

-          You’re in charge of it.

Payne smiled. The General left.

Suddenly, a tank started to shoot everywhere. Payne looked up and saw nothing. Everyone was confused. Then, he looked up and saw fighter planes, flying about 5 or 6 meters above his head. They started to bomb the military camp.

The jeeps were exploding.

Payne ran but he bumped into something. He fell.

He couldn’t hear anything, or anyone, even though everyone was shouting.