Chapter 2

It took a day to Liam to make his decision. He was definitely going to fight for Germany’s future.
After the talk he had with Tomlinson, he went home.
He hadn’t seen his kids in months. The doctor told him that his wife had visited him. He really missed her. 
He and Sophia had got married about 10 years ago, in Berlin, and they had their first kid 9 months later. It looks like they had fun on their honeymoon, uh?
He went out of the car, and looked at the façade. It was an old Victorian house, which once belonged to his parents. The street was in silent.
The house had a big, red entrance door, and two big windows on its side. It had about two floors and 4 bedrooms: one for him and his wife, one for his 3 sons and one for his daughter. As the house was pretty old, they just had one proper bathroom but they used the 4th bedroom as an extra bathroom, so they actually had to baths. 
He could see a light in one of the two windows. His family, his home, was there. He saw a little face looking at him in the illuminated window.
He smiled.
Payne noticed that Erika, his eldest daughter, was saying something. 
Sophia opened the door, and Erika ran up to him. She hugged him really tight. Erika held his three fingers and leaded him towards his house.
Liam hugged and kissed Sophia, then, the rest of his kids, Wilhelm, Werner, Walter (yeah, he loved the names which started with “W”) and Frieda came up to him. They all hugged.
Walter, the youngest one, started to exclaim “Daddy! Daddy!”
Wilhelm and Werner started to ask him about his injuries. They would have plenty of stories to talk about at school.
Frieda couldn’t stop smiling.
- I love you, daddy. I’m so happy now that you’re back. I missed you.
- I missed you too, Frieda.

The German Resistance’s “house”

The room was big and spacious. The walls were covered with stripy paper and with portraits of rich men. There were two Victorian-style windows that had two long and dark curtains which matched the wall’s paper.
- No, no, no. I’m not going to listen to any of you. You had your chance, and you failed – a man said.
About 15 men were sitting around a big, circular, wooden table. They were drinking and arguing. 
When Colonel Payne arrived, they were arguing.
- We must confront Hitler. Now. – A General said. His name was Beck, Ludwig Beck. – We have to overthrow him.
- And then what? – Payne interrupted. 
- What? – Someone said.
- Yeah, what are you going to do when Hitler’s dead?
- Uh, excuse me but, who’s this man? – Beck inquired. 
- Payne is Giesler’s replacement. He’s been transferred to my office. – Tomlinson answered.
- So... What? What will you do when Hitler’s gone?
- You know what? One of the things that made Giesler a good organizing was that he kept his opinions to himself.
Everyone in the hall laughed. Payne smiled.
- I was just simply asking what were you pretending to do once Hitler’s gone. Do you actually think that you can just kill Hitler, go to his office and end the war?
- Yes, we do. – Another man said defiantly. 
Tomlinson looked quite disappointed.
- Then you don’t need me. 
Payne left with Styles to the first floor.
- They’re not thinking about everything! What are we going to do with Goebbles, Himmler and the SS? They can’t just disappear! They would wipe you out – he whispered.
- Doesn’t matter! – Styles answered. – All that matters is that we have to act, now, before we lose the war. Otherwise, this will be Hitler’s Germany, and we have to show to world, that not all of us like him.
- That is not enough for me. It has to be a chance with success.
- Okay, then, find a way.
Liam opened the door, and left. He went home.

When he arrived, his children came up to him running and smiling like the first time.
He kissed Sophia. She was wearing a burgundy, long-sleeved dress. She looked genuinely beautiful.
Frieda turned on the record player.
When Sophia and Liam were about to start dancing, they heard sirens. The light went out.
They heard a noise outside; they all run to the refuge.
When the war started, the SS looked in everyone’s basements because they had to see if it was a safe place if they ever got bombed, otherwise, they would have to go to their neighbour’s. Fortunately, the Payne family lived in an expensive neighbourhood, so everyone’s basement had the ideal measurements. 
Frieda took her bunny, crying.
- It is fine, Frieda. Don’t worry. – said Wilhelm.
Frieda was like a little version of Sophia. Wilhelm had blue eyes, just like Sophia’s father.
The shelter was really dark. Since the lights went off, they had to use a candle.
It was also really cold. Frieda coughed, she was shaking.
5 minutes later the bombs ceased. They went out.
Payne looked out of the window; he saw smoke a couple of blocks away. “The war is awful...” he thought.
‘Die Walküre’ by Wagner was still playing.

German Resistance

- Valkyrie – he said.
- We’ve already thought about Valkyrie... It won’t work... – answered Tomlinson.
- Listen, the Colonel has an idea we should considerate. 
- What is Valkyrie? – asked Beck.
- Operation Valkyrie. – corrected Louis.
Everyone was in silent.