chapter one: change

I was 5 years old when the war between us and our neighboring country Magna began.

Two years later I lost my Father, my idol in life to the same war.

I, my mother and two younger siblings were now alone, but we pulled through and we survived. we did for nine years. However, the war continued and more people lost loved ones... and little girls their fathers they idolize...

Ice cold water rand down my neck and I was instantly pulled away from my train of thought.

I looked over to my shoulder and came face to face with two green orbs and a mop of soft curly brown hair. My ten-year-old sister Jamie. Little demon.

"Jamie! What the hell?"I yelled from the top of my lungs.

"I tried saying your name six times and you didn't respond, what else was I suppose to do?" she answered trying to sound as innocent as she possibly could but I knew that she was laughing on the inside.

"You know if it wasn't for the fact that it's you and Carter's birthday you'd be dead right now."

Carter is her twin brother and the complete opposite of his sister. You see while Jamie is an athlete and a complete heathen, Carter is shy and gentle and shares my love of art.

"Well then, I guess I have great timing. Mom said diner is ready." She skipped out of my room, her hair bouncing behind her.

I sighed and lazily rose from my bed. I put on my favorite pair of combat boots and make my way to the closet to choose a hat.

Yes, I am that cliche kind of witch who wears a pointed hat. I know it went out of style centuries ago, but I still like it.

I decided to dress up a bit because It's the twins' tenth birthday. A very important day in a young warlock's life since this is the day your element will be revealed.

Your element refers to the type of magic you can do. On your tenth birthday exactly at midnight, a small tattoo appears on your wrist that represents your element: a flower for Earth, a water droplet for water, a flame for fire, a feather for wind, a moon for lunar, and an eye for clairvoyance.

I am an Earth witch.

I made my way to our apartment's small kitchen and sat down at the table next to Carter.

The circular table was covered with a black tablecloth with a candle in the middle. Jamie came and sat down on the other side of me and my mother across from me, but not before placing the food on the table. Mac and cheese! A family favorite.

We ate in silence. Once we were done mom and I shooed the twins up to their room and started setting up the living room.

I looked up at my mother in admiration.

She's the strongest person I know. Ever since my dad died she had been the one carrying the family. Over the past nine years, she had started her own business and she had raised three children all on her own.

I hope that one day I could be half the person she is.

"Mom." she looked up at me."What do you think dad would have been doing now if he was still alive?"

She froze for a moment.

"Well," she started, a smile etching her lips."He would be in the kitchen, probably making waffles telling us those stupid jokes he loved so much. He would hug us and bring hot chocolate because it's a special occasion."
I smiled at that. "
He would laugh and tell us how much he loves us and ho he wouldn't trade us for anything in the world." she smiled slightly.