[Rewritten] 𝑷𝒓𝒐𝒍𝒐𝒈𝒖𝒆

PROLOGUE.
✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰
✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

"Shit!"

You spat out a curse, your hand instinctively flying up to your mouth in a vain attempt to conceal it. By the time you did so, all the blood in your body seemed to have surged up your cheeks, turning your face a dainty pink. And while it was clear as day that you were extremely flustered, the source of this reaction was not easy to pinpoint.

One may presume that it's the shame of cursing out loud in public. However, taking a closer look, the frustration that you would usually ought to conceal was evident on your face. The frustration had been piling on for days, and now you could no longer restrain it, especially when you are finally realizing just how grave the weight of this decision that you had impulsively chosen to settle on is.

You stared, horrified at the situation, at hand before your mind went into a few more strings of curses. Shit! Shit! Shit!

Fortunately, it hadn't reached the point where you had lost your reason to your simmering emotions, thus managing to seal your lips on time before your voice betrays you. However, you still couldn't be considered calm. You knew that you had to expel these frustrations, at least in a different way, so you resorted to venting these emotions by kicking invisible pebbles off the concrete pavement.

Simultaneously, you aggressively shook your head a couple of times, distinctively firm with the decision of refusing to acknowledge it.

Because how could you... How could you even be happy enough to accept that this is now your reality? Taking a step back, you still had your eyes trained on the stockpile of collected dust that was now in the pinch of your fingers.

You heaved out a strained sigh.

Even so, that didn't mean that you had already let go of this little, hidden hope that you still held. You snapped your wallet shut before opening it. Squinting your eyes in careful probing, you quickly closed it again, only to flip it open once more for the umpteenth time.

Again, nothing.

It was an uncomfortable feeling, but your heart seemed to plummet straight down from the rib cage that it remained in.

"Fuck!"

You broke out into another curse, placing a hand on your face as you roughly smeared it on your distressed features. It was stupid. You knew very well that it was stupid, but you were still hoping—hoping that it was just your sleep deprivation messing with your mind and playing tricks with your eyes. And that you're not really in your most penurious era. Everything was just an illusion.

You even began to shake your wallet in a desperate attempt to search for any spare change. But there was neither a sight of paper bills nor metallic coins that graced your sight. Only a small speck of dust took its exit, momentarily hovering in the air before floating down to obscurity.

Your heart seemed to sink even further. Who knew just how crestfallen your expression had turned into? If your sister was here to witness all of these, she would have snorted and ridiculed you with no hesitation until you had become a sobbing mess by then. Should you be a little bit more relieved that you are no longer at her mercy?

But still...

You pursed your lips, feeling a little sting in the corner of your eyes.

Damn it. Fucking damn it!

You let yourself sharply drop to the ground as the frustrations finally overtook your mind, overwhelming your helpless soul with thoughts and worries for the unforeseeable future. However, while you were taken by anxiety, you still had no plans to return to your previous residence. Hunger was something you wouldn't usually dare to bear, but you wouldn't want to swallow your pride in exchange for the fulfillment of these depthless physiological needs.