Chapter 1

~A point of view from the Top Elf of the North Pole~

I looked through the bars of the prison where Charles and Maggie were being held. The two were unconscious on the metal bed, Charles was stuck under Maggie, and she was laying on top of him. The twins looked so alike the could be the same person... But back to this mission. I have to get them out quickly and safely.

I averted my sight to the tool belt strapped to my chubby waist and grasped the glass bottle with one hand. One drip of this would wipe their memory of any of this happening. I uncorked the bottle and pulled out another tool. It was a metal piece that stretched lit far distances and could carry things there. I put the uncorked bottle into the clasp and carefully pushed it through the bars. I finally managed to get it hovering over them.

I used the device to tilt the jar ever so slightly, causing some liquid to fall out of the bottle onto their skin. It disappeared after a few seconds, and I knew that it dissolved into their skin and my mission was successful. But that's only one half of it. Now I have to get them out.

I went to the window ledge and jumped down, into an gathering of elves. They caught me and I stuck out my hand for the one tool that couldn't fit in the tool belt, the most important one, the tool that would move the bricks and make a space for them to escape.

I wandered back to the wall, stumbling a little from the weight of the needle point claw. I approached my target and pressed a hidden button on the tool. A beam came out of the sharp end and I held it still, then used the laser to cut away the mortar holding the brick on. I cut the shape out, then did the other ones near it. My head bobbed as I nodded to the other elves, and they approached swiftly. They grabbed onto one brick each and pulled it right out of the wall. Then they backed away and covered the bricks in snow to cover the evidence. Even the enemy can't keep away the snow that brings Christmas.

Me and all the other elves quickly went into the room, if we were too slow the guards would catch us as they passed through the multiple jail cells. We clambered up the onto the bed and carefully lifted Maggie from her brother, without causing them to wake. If we had a potion for that this would go by so much faster. We eased Maggie down onto a group of elves below ready to catch her. They took her outside and the next group waited for Charles. We took him down next, and then the next group took over. The ones of us that were lifting them down just followed around.

Then I gasped and called them over. We needed to cover up the hole at least a little. We would do that while the others got the kids to the helicopter. We sealed the hole up the best we could, then ran to catch up.

We finally arrived at the helicopter, and we all joined in on pushing them through the door. We propped them up on the seats, and I went back to my tool belt for the pills. They were going to make them deaf for a hour- the perfect amount of time. I pried their mouths open and placed one on each of their tongues. It began to dissolve right when it made contact to the moist atmosphere. Them I sat between the, for the rest of the ride.

A hour later we came to the North Pole. We landed at the base of a mountain, where a cave was. Once inside, we would leave them there, then go away. The cave was actually a tunnel, a secret one for special missions like this one.

The same teams took them out of the helicopter and to the entrance of the cave. We laid them out neatly on the rock floor and stood back, catching a breath from our hard work from over the past few hours. This mission took a lot of planning, and it finally paid off. I stare into their faces, and saw a frown. They were reacting to the cold even if they weren't awake to feel it.

"Forgive me," I whispered and kissed their heads. I looked at the others, and they nodded their heads. My close friend, whom I put in charge of our ride, pulled a remote from him pocket and pressed the green button. Light filled the cave as the car's headlights came on, and rolled over to us.

I hopped on the front seat, and everyone else piled into the back, which has enough seating to be triple the size of a bus. The driver swerved the car around, but I swiveled my head to watch Charlie and Maggie until I couldn't see them any more.

The next few hours were mostly driving, part talking. We were now halfway there.

Much later we came. We arrived to the workshop looking dirty and tired. Everyone else was going to wash then sleep, but I had direct orders to go see Santa immediately afterwards. I did what I was told and went to see him.

I pushed the door open to the second story study for the naughty and nice checklists, where Santa was checking them himself. There were two doors to the study: one for elves and one for the tall Santa. Us elves only go to the top of Santa's boot, the tallest ones reaching the fuzz on the ends of his pants.

"Come on over here," Santa boomed. "Join me on the desk. I walked over to the desk across the room and walked up the staircase that spirals around the desk, specially made for this purpose. Santa looked at me before speaking.

"Did you do well?"

"Yes, Santa."

"Are they safe?" He said this with concern.

"I made sure of it." I said quietly.

He nodded and looked back to his papers. I scanned the page and saw mostly x's, rather than the check marks we want to see.

"Why so many x's?" I asked.

"This is the 13 year olds group. They always stop believing at this age." He sighed.

"You've always got the young ones." I stated. "You'll have those every year."

"Way to look on the good side, Simon." He congratulated. We sat in silence for a while.

"You know," Santa started "those kids might be the ones that finally save me."

"I just hope they're ok when it's over."

"If things go the way we planned, they'll be ok, so will Christmas."

I nodded respectfully.

"Go on Simon," Santa urged "go to sleep. I know you're jesting standing here for me."

"Thank you Santa." I said, and went to the door. I was about to shut it when Santa said one last thing.

"Simon," he stopped me "I love those kids."

"I do too." I assured him, and shut the door before he could say anything else.

He might feel strongly about them, but I love them more than he ever could. They were born here, raised here, and adopted here. Then that witch took them away from me all those years ago, because she knew they could help us. And now we have them back, and we're about to give them away, we could lose them.

Goodbye kids, I thought, goodbye The Children of the North Pole.