Chapter 2

Finley spun around in circles in front of the mirror, clad in the sullied sheet that Ray had cut three holes in for her to wear. Her face had been painted sheer white and Seth had made sure to make her eyes shaded a little darker. She darted out of the room, the two adults trailing behind her. Down the stairs and into the kitchen, Finley latched onto Luka's leg, startling him.

"Finley! Don't do that," Luka chastised, clutching the knife in his hand a little tighter. Her tumbling into him nearly caused the blade to slip free. He paused mid-chop, eyes drifting down to get another good look at the child. "Who is the victim this time?"

"I'm going to scare daddy when he comes home!" she answered excitedly. Her small hands clasped onto the bottom of his jacket and slid her feet across the smooth floor so that she could swing around. "Hey Luka! Will you help me look more like a ghost?" She could always rope in the other leaders to her plans.

Luka hesitated, thinking about all the things he had to do before dinner. The list was extensive. He should tell her no, but... Fenrir had been playing a lot of tricks on him lately, even putting a bucket on top of a door to soak him when it fell. A little revenge would be fine. "Flour then? Is that what you're after?" Luka asked.

Her head bobbed up and down until her grip on his jacket slipped and she fell onto the floor. "And ketchup to look like blood! I wanna be really scary!" Finley replied, scrambling to get back up on her feet. She had taken his interest as willingness to help and went straight to the large bag filled with the powder she desired.

"Finley, wait!" Luka called out, but it was too late.

She tried to pick up the bag that was much too heavy. It lifted only slightly before slipping through her hands. The impact of that few inches was enough to make a flour cloud poof into the air and all over her. Finley coughed, trying to wave it away.

Ray and Seth were hovering around the door, bursting out laughing at her. "I don't think she knows what the word wait means, Luka," Ray commented. He had seen that coming the moment she had come in the room, since the child doesn't know when to let an adult do something for her.

Luka dusted the flour off his uniform and grabbed the broom to sweep up the mess. He smacked her lightly on the back of her legs with it. "Let me clean this up. I think you've succeeded in covering yourself in flour."

The powder cloud had settled onto the floor and counters, the air clearing. It revealed the huge mess that she had made. Finley patted her head and checked her hands for the white dust. A frown grew on her lips. "It's not enough. I want to look even more like a ghost!" She nearly knocked the dustpan out of his hand as she grabbed onto his sleeve. "Please! Please! Pretty Pretty Please!" Finley bounced up and down and said it over and over again.

"Okay, I hear you," Luka cut her off, already feeling drained from being around the ball of energy. He had never known her to be calm unless she had fallen ill. She was wired all day long. He scooped up a handful of flour and dropped it on her hair. "Better?"

A bright smile returned to her face and Finley bobbed her head in response. "Now I'm really a ghost!" She spun around to see Seth armed with the ketchup and bounded over to him. "Blood! Blood!" She chanted and waited impatiently for the condiment to be smeared onto the sheet. She swiped a small bit on her finger and swiftly ate it.

Ketchup and other condiments were put up high so that she couldn't reach them without help. On more than one occasion, one of the officers had caught her hiding in the kitchen in the early hours of the morning simply eating it straight out of the jar. For a time, a lock had been placed on all cupboards, but that had even failed. After the third time of her arm getting stuck and the meltdown she had when it happened, they had forgone the lock. The solution had been to move all pots and pans into the lower cupboards and the food to the higher ones.