Chapter 4: Jamais Vu

Your group heads out to the warehouse on the edge of town, and quickly starts setting everything up for the show. Some evacuees are already hanging around outside, waiting for Sadie and the band to do the soundcheck. You don't know too much about setting up all this equipment, so you help move things around and keep an eye on Garnet. You're internally kicking yourself for letting her wander off last time, she could have gone anywhere! Luckily Greg and Pearl found her, but still ...

Spinel interrupts your thoughts, walking past with Steven, who looks rather aggravated. You watch their conversation bemusedly from your place in front of the stage, catching Steven's eye and chuckling at Spinel's antics.

"What's that?" Spinel asks, pointing to some guitar amps up on stage.

"Guitar stuff," Steven says flatly.

"And those?" she asks again.

"Uh, microphones ... Spinel, hey, why don't you help Y/n with taking tickets at the door?" He says quickly, shooting you a pleading look.

You chuckle and nod. "Yeah, I can do that. Wanna help, Spins?" you ask, the nickname flying out before you can stop it.

You watch her eyes go wide before she looks at the ground, avoiding your gaze. "Uh ... yeah, I can help," she mutters, leaving Steven to walk past you towards the entrance. As she walks past, you catch a glimpse of her face, which is a deeper pink than usual.

"Is she ... blushing?" you think curiously. You follow her out to the front, eyes on the back of her heart buns. "Maybe the nickname is weird for a Gem I barely know ..."

The sun is descending on Beach City, and it paints a lovely picture on the distant beach. The air is cool, and the atmosphere is just right- you can almost forget the world might be ending soon.

"Hi Mayor Nanafua!" you call out, stepping towards the smaller woman. "We're here to help!"

"Ah, Y/n! I forgot you visit over the summer, how nice to have you here! Although, given current circumstances ..." she trails off, gazing towards the injector. "Anyway! You and the pink one can direct people inside! Take tickets from the fans, send the evacuees in- fairly simple, no?"

"Yep, we can handle that!" You reply cheerfully, motioning for Spinel to stand on the opposite side of the door from you.

"Ok Spinel, basically people are going to hand you little pieces of paper with today's date on 'em. Technically anyone can go in now because of the evacuation, but ... we just have to hold the tickets for Greg so he can get a headcount of how many people were here for the band. "

A fan walks up to you then and hands you his ticket. You nod as he walks in and look back to Spinel, holding up the small ticket for her to see. "This is what the tickets look like, just so you know. It'll be fun! This shouldn't take long, and then we can watch the show!"

"Yay! I'm so excited!" Spinel cheers, grinning out at the approaching crowd.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once there's a sizable crowd inside, Mayor Nanafua catches your attention and tells you to head in as well. You grin and grab Spinel's hand excitedly.

"C'mon, it's gonna start!"

You rush inside with the pink Gem in tow, moving upfront to find Greg, Pearl, and Garnet. To your surprise, Amethyst has made her way on the stage- you forgot she drummed for Sadie Killer sometimes, so this was going to be even better than you thought! Spinel made her way over to Garnet, which gave you an opportunity to check in with Steven and Greg.

"Hey guys, how's it going?" you asked kindly.

"Well ... okay, I guess," Greg replied, scratching the back of his neck while nervously glancing at Pearl. "We requested a song for them to play that might jog Pearl's memory ..."