Chapter 3, Fresh kill

I get another memory, it isn't dark this time. I can't see any of the faces because they're blurry, but I can tell I am myself in this vision. I can see this figure, it seems more like a woman than a man.

"Apollo, sweetheart, you grew out of it, that's why he isn't around anymore,"

...

I wake up in the elevator. My head is pounding, my shirt is soaked in sweat, my eyes seem watery. I close my eyes repeatedly and rub them with my hands to make them less blurry.

"What do these memories mean?" I say to myself. I get up and I look around, eyes cleared, and notice that there is an indent at the top of the elevator doors, and that there are burn marks on the metal. The buttons to control the elevator are barely visible. The doors of the elevator are slightly open, letting in a small amount of light, and there is a bit of rubble on the floor of the elevator.

I tried using my strength to open the doors, to no avail. They wouldn't budge. In that moment I felt extremely tired; weak, even.

I open the top part of the elevator; the emergency exit door, and there is a blinding brightness as I look around, my head peeking out of the small hole. All I can see is disaster; the whole school is in rubble, there is only the elevator, a few walls and three half-columns still standing. To my left, everyone from the school seems to have gathered, and I slowly pull myself out of the metal trap. I walk towards everyone, earning me multiple looks of awe and questioning. I see Primrose in the corner of my eye. She's crying. Why would she be crying? She's the one who betrayed me! Who.. Who left me! I was weak and struggling and she left me!

While I walk towards the crowd, paramedics, firefighters and police officers rush to me.

"His vitals seem normal." A 30-something Caucasian female dressed in a paramedic's uniform yelled out to her crew.

"His pupillary reflexes are... normal." An older African-American man said after sitting me down on the back of the ambulance, and flashing a light in my eyes.

"Check his L.O.C." A paramedic bellowed to another.

"How's his blood pressure?" The first woman asked a man on my right.

"It's surprisingly okay, considering he was just in an explosion." The man said.

Swarms of people gather around me like I'm some sort of attraction, the police keeps them at a distance, but it made me seem pretty odd. I am brought to the hospital for further medical inspection.

Once I am at the hospital, the doctors make me go through a full-body MRI to make sure that my brain is functioning properly and there is no damage, once done they put me on a stretcher and start bringing me to a room. I was told the stretcher was to make sure my spine is ok just in case I injured it. I get to the room and realize it is not a typical room, the room is empty with one bed. They gave me my own room, which is so much better. The doctor did say head trauma of any kind requires a dim lit and quiet room.

I am laid on the bed and then left alone. I was told that my family would not be able to meet me until they are sure I'm healthy. I lay awake in the bed physically weak, but not tired. My mind racing about every little thing that has occured; the powers I may or may not have acquired? It was not a dream, that felt way too real to be a dream. I felt the energy.. The strength, the speed and the lightness of my body as I zoomed through the air... But it's all gone. Maybe I died, maybe that was my version of heaven... I couldn't survive that blast though this makes zero sense; I felt the heat, and the strength of the explosion the thought of the moment before I blacked out sends a chill down my spine. I realize I have been zoned out for quite some time because a doctor comes in and tells me all my vitals are ok. My brain is ok nothing is hurt. The doctors seem surprised that I made it out okay, saying it was an "Act of God". Besides the less-than first degree burns on my arms and lower-half of the legs, I was all good, and the hospital had no reason not to discharge me.