The Last Train

#01 - The Last Train
Written by Saphira

Harry and Jeffrey were on their way home. It had been 4 years since they finished high school and moved to the city to attend college.

Harry put the headphones on and then turned on the music. His finger slightly touched the play button. There it was, his favorite song "Take Me Home, Country Roads" by John Denver. The familiar melodies inside Harry's ears were whispering that the reunion with his family would soon come true.

"Hey, hurry! The entry will soon close", said Jeffrey with an eager smile. Harry knew, his friend was the most excited after all.

They sat next to each other for the whole trip, chattering about various matters that they would tell their family about. Happiness could not be hidden as the two prattled on.

Shortly, without warning, they heard a roaring explosion from the furious sky as it was covered by a huddle of black and gloomy clouds. Harry opened the rusty windows on his left and was shocked by the startling view up in front. The thundercloud hit the mountain so brutally that Harry could even see rocks falling down precipitously.

"Harry, we'll be crossing the mountain tunnel! There's no way we can survive!", Jeffrey got into a state of panic and his eyes were full of dread. Harry tried to calm his friend down, but his mind was oppositely a tempest.

Suddenly, Harry's sight was totally blocked by an unexpected collapse. Before he completely lost his consciousness, Harry felt a warm hug embracing him.

-----『◆◎◆』-----

Everything was pitch black. His head and eyelids felt like rocks, and warm liquid was running down his scarred cheek.

Blood?

The pain running through his spine instantly caused him to burst into tears. His head stung violently as he tried to regain the lost memories.

Where was he? What the hell had happened?

He remembered the last image that his eyes grasped in was a carriage filled with screams and terror. He could not do anything but stand right there and wait for death. His entire body immediately froze. He could not move a finger. The haunting sight in front of him faded away and broke into pieces of glass.

The confused boy ended his memories. Then using all the remaining strength, he forced himself to stand up. His eyes glanced around and captured the scene where all the seats crashed into each other, creating a mess. Pieces of glass lied in the collision and spilled wildly on the bumpy ground.

As he got along the deck, the hellish smell of blood dashed rapidly into his nose. Out of the blue, his stomach wrenched like being boiled in hot lava which nearly caused him to vomit.

What was it?

The closer he got, the more he heard rushing breaths of passengers on board. Before he was able to recognize them, his eyes had already widened, and his mouth was covered with hands to hold the screech that he was about to let out. He saw them - those dead bodies placed on the ground. Swiftly, a loud creak broke the silence, accompanied by a flashlight, forcing him to turn his back and squint his eyes.

"Jeffrey?", he asked.

-----『◆◎◆』-----

Several days passed and they were still in the tunnel, not knowing what would happen to their pathetic life. Sorrow filled Harry's deep-set cement grey eyes. He could even feel the bitter taste on those dry lips, which were parched with thirst for days.

Eventually, that last spark of hope died as he and Jeffrey reached the end of the mountain road, just like all the passengers on this ill-fated train. No more shouting, no more whimpering. Everything was embraced by darkness, and hopelessness.

"Are we going to be saved, Harry?", Jeffrey asked with his eyes looking down at the ground. He did not have enough courage to face the reality - that all of them would probably die.

Harry slowly opened his heavy eyelids and a thought passed through his mind. He put his hand into the right pocket, trying to find something precious.

"An insurance card? What for?", Jeffrey looked confused.

Using his last power, the card was held tightly in Harry's shaking fingers.

"My heart. My lungs. My livers . . . I don't know whether I can do anything or not, but at least . . . Some people will need those", Harry put his right hand on the left chest where his heart was, and whispered with a smile of contentment.

Then everything in front of him bleached away, leaving behind nothing to be attached.

Right away, a loud screech of the drill completely broke the silence. There it was, the first light of a new day had illuminated the darkness inside those miserable hearts.

Hopes, again, warmly raised in their eyes.

"We're saved, Harry! Finally, Harry! Harry . . . ?", Jeffrey could not believe in his eyes. He smiled faithfully at the friend, but the only reply he got was an absolute silence.

The End

/ 05. 04 . 2020 /
Finished.