Oh... No

'Oakie, I'm afraid earlier today your father was in a brawl and is now facing charges for his actions,' Mrs Constance's voice broke the silence, 'your mother has come to pick you up.'

I sat their dumbstruck. That sounds nothing like my father. Oh God. This better not be on the news.

'OK' I managed to mutter

I got up and made my way towards the door and out of the office where my mother was standing near her Mazda, her tear stained face shining in the sun. Forcing a smile, she got in the car and instead of starting it she turned to me and started talking.

'Hello, Oakie,' She murmured, 'did Mrs Constance tell you about your father?'

I nodded.

'Well, you see, he was in a hurry to get to work when a complete stranger stole his briefcase, which contained a few really important contracts,' she continued, 'so your father ran after him and he started to slow down so your father cornered him. The stranger started attacking your father and hitting him with the briefcase so your father decided that it was right to do the same which landed him at the police station. He's been charged with violence but he'll come home tonight.'

A tear rolled down her cheek.

It was a silent trip back home. My mother didn't bother explaining everything to Jasmine because she wouldn't understand.

That night when my dad came come he was in a horrible mood. We all sensed it, especially when my mum started yelling at him. I was in my room with Jasmine. She asked me why our parents were fighting and I said nothing but continued plaiting her long blonde hair.

The fighting kept going until my mum stormed out of the living room and went to sleep. It was eleven o'clock and Jasmine had fallen aslep on my bed. I carried her into her room and tucked her in.

'Good night, Oakie,' she whispered

'Nighty night Jazzie,' I replied.

I went to sleep that night with an uneasy mind. My parents had been fighting so much lately. They act all happy and loving when me and Jasmine are around but I hear them fight a lot. My room is right next to theirs so I hear them shouting at eachother. Sometimes I can't get to sleep because of it. Maybe they're going to- NO they can't. They can't get a divorce.

... But what else can this fighting lead to?