The citadel

Kael Onin, he introduced himself. A man with austere countenance, noble posture, wearing a silver armor quite ornate with embossed designs, and a cape made of white feathers leaping from his shoulders. His placidity contrasted with the agony of his archers, who showed pain while retreating. It was almost impossible to resist the blood of the dead soldiers on the snow, however, such an individual did not seem to feel the effects.

"Guardians," Kael cried, looking from the corner of his eyes to his guards. "You can lower your bows and assume your positions with the reserve in the forest! You are excused!"

Then, he made a careless gesture with his hand, resulting in an almost total disbandment of the men, all visibly weakened, even though their airways were protected by a cloth tied around their faces. He then turned his attention to the three individuals with the animal masks: Lizard wore scale plates protecting parts of his body and Black Bird was covered by a heavy gray cloak. In contrast, spider had practically a bare back, except for a band around the neck that draped over his back.

The man looked at them carefully and exhibited a combination of awe and excitement in his eyes.

"Sir," one last Archer approached Kael, dazed and with his hands over his face. "It is not acceptable that the Great Bird be vulnerable this way. These people are dangerous."

"For I tell you that these will be my guests at the Akhilon Citadel," emphasized Kael, turning to the three masked ones.

Lizard kept the same indecisive look while holding his ax and shield, both stained with blood. Spider examined the newcomer cautiously and lowered the staff as Black Bird put herself forward, disarmed.

"My lord," choked the guard. "They killed some of your men!"

"Archer," he countered slowly. "I command you to go back to Babul and inform him that I'll regroup in a few minutes, accompanied by three visitors," ordered Kael and, although he didn't even look at the soldier, the weight of his order came down like a hammer. Stumbling, he went back to the forest with the few soldiers who were still in the vicinity.

The metal in Kael's sumptuous suit shone, reflecting the sunlight. He smiled as he repositioned the diadem adorning his forehead and approached the trio. He could not disguise the almost childlike curiosity. He raised his hand to touch the crow's beak on the woman's mask when she asked him:

"What do you want from us?"

"A little of your time," he answered gently, seeing her backing up, restless. "You are my guests of honor at the Akhilon Citadel, as I already said."

"Doesn't look interesting to me," diverged Lizard, looking at the ruins of the building where Luka had disappeared.

"We'll be your guests?" Asked Spider. "We killed some of your scouts and you offer us hospitality? This does not seem to make sense."

"I understand your suspicion, but I believe you are unique individuals," justified Kael, notoriously admired. "Only a fool would sacrifice a rare white wolf for devouring three or four hares. Instead, I offer a roof in Akhilon where there is plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables in Old Mother's Garden, the safety and comfort of beds stuffed with goose feathers from the Corridor of the Walkers and especially my greater good: knowledge."

The masked ones exchanged glances. Lizard, crouching, using the moisture from the snow to clean the blood on his arms, showed little excitement for the words of that man.

"Luka vanished! We will not go anywhere without finding her first," he growled, tapping his foot and receiving a confirmation from Black Bird.

"Do you speak of a child with golden hair, quick legs and little talk?" Questioned Kael, generating surprise.