Moving?

Remuswoke to quiet talking.

"I'mpacking his lunch right now." P said. "I do feel sorry forhim, but he really can't stay right now. The cops are really on ourbutts."

"Iknow, sis." Eric sounded sad. "I'll wake him here in abit."

Remussat up and began to pack as slowly as possible. He didn't want toleave, but couldn't risk getting P into trouble.

Hewalked into the kitchen, and the smell of bacon filled his nostrils.A plate of bacon and eggs were waiting for him. There was never atime that he didn't love P for all that she would do for him.

Hesmiled a sad smile as he ate. Soon he knew he'd have to leave hishome behind.

Phanded him a bag full of bread, crackers, and canned fruit. "Itisn't much." She said. "But it's better than a singlesandwich. Hide it well."

Remusblushed and nodded. He hated having to hide the food. He hated beingseventy pounds at five foot six. The lack of nutrition made his browneyes look more like a lifeless gray and his chestnut hair held nolife.

*

Ericwalked him home. Neither spoke, but Remus noticed that Eric keptlooking over his shoulder. He seemed worried about something, butwouldn't say a word. Eric appeared to calm a bit when they reachedRemus's house. He smiled and cocked his head to the side, letting hishair cover his right eye. "I'll see you tomorrow, kay?"

"Surething." Remus nodded. He tried to smile, but fear was grippinghis heart. He knew that he was about to walk right into abuse. Ericbacked away with a wave. Remus took a breath, opened the door andwalked inside.

Hischeek stung as the back of his mother's hand met his face. He grabbedthe door frame and stumbled backward.

"Nowdear, don't leave a mark." His father kept his mother fromhitting him again. "We can do that after the bitch leavestomorrow."

"Gramsis coming tomorrow?" Remus rubbed his cheek. "She's notsupposed to come for two days."

"She'scoming early, and you didn't clean the house!" His mother wasfurious. "We did! Where the hell have you been today?"

Remusstifled a laugh. He couldn't believe that his parents hadn't noticedthat he had been gone for three days.

"Walking"He grumbled then pushed past his parents. "I'll go clean myroom. Wake me in the morning."

Hecouldn't believe she'd decided to come early. If he missed onedinner, he'd get the beating of a lifetime. Remus was supposed toclean the entire house, buy food, make dinner, and act likeeverything was normal with his family. The one time he tried to tellhis grandmother the truth, he was six; his parents just laughed itoff as a child making up stories. After she had left, they beat himblack and blue.

Remus'sfather woke him up. He put on his best clothes, brushed his teeth andhair, then went straight to the kitchen. He began by boiling corn andprepping a pot for spaghetti. His grandmother would only stay forfour hours. She'd ask him about school, his health and if he had anyfriends. It was always the same questions, and he always had the sameanswers.

*

"So,Remus, how has your schooling been?" His grandmother took a sipof wine. "Oh, Marlene, this meal is delicious. The mashedpotatoes are just right."

Remus'smother smiled. "Thank you."

"Remus,answer your grandmother." His father put on his "best dad"voice.

"School'sfine. I've got A's in all my classes." Remus tried to put acheer in his voice.

"Good,good." His grandmother nodded. "And your health? Does yourmedication still give you delusions of Marie?"