Underestimating yourself

RINGGG! The irritating sound of my alarm awoke me at once. I stretched out my arm and firmly pressed the snooze button. It was a Saturday morning and there was no way I was getting up any time before noon.

 As I pulled the soft blanket up to my shoulders and shut my eyelids, my mother came storming into my room. “Sarah, get up! you have to be at school by one o’clock. “What!? Mom its Saturday, please go away before I am incapable of falling back asleep.” She walked over to my window and carelessly swung the blinds open causing the sun to pierce through. “Mom!” I immediately covered my eyes with my hands. “Don’t you remember? Today is the concert... ” My eyes flew open. I had totally forgotten. I quickly placed my feet onto the cold floor. I ran over to my calendar and stared at the highlighted date. She was right. Today was May 24th, the day of the Heritage Regional High School end of year concert.

I turned to look at my mother standing in my door way. “Were leaving in an hour” she exclaimed as she walked away from my room. I opened my closet door and reached for my dark blue floral patterned dress. I slipped it on and combed my messy hair back. I started to practise singing my song. I warmed up my voice with different exercises but somehow it just didn’t sound good enough. As I stared at myself in my long mirror I felt like I couldn’t do it. I started to wonder how I even made it in the concert in the first place.

I sat down in the car and tucked my seatbelt in. “don’t worry Sarah, Your going to be great” my mother said with the biggest smile on her face. I gave her a slight nod and looked out the window. The closer we got to the school, the more worried I became. My mother parked in the closes spot to the entrance and unlocked my door. “See you later sweet heart!” I walked to the door praying it would be lock. That way I could just turn around and go home. I gave the door a slight pull and sighed when it flew open. “It’s not too late to quit” I thought to myself.

 I made my way to the auditorium with my head down, still hoping that somehow, the concert would be canceled. I sat down in one of the uncomfortable seats of the auditorium when my friends came rushing towards me blabbing on about how I had missed the only practise before the show. “Sorry” I said under my breath.

Time flew by as I talked with my friends which totally made me forget about the stressful situation I would have to face not long from now. At one point we were interrupted by our music teacher who told us it was time to go back stage and that the audience would arrive very soon. “Oh no” I thought to myself.

The show started at seven pm sharp. The acts before me seemed to go by so quickly. I started to bite my nails to the point where they practically bled. I paced back and forth trying to take deep breaths. My heart felt like it was going to burst out of my chest. The next thing I knew the tech crew started yelling at me saying “come on Sarah! You’re on go... now!” I started up the stairs that led to the stage trying to keep my legs moving. The host handed me the microphone as he whispered “good luck”. My hands were so sweaty it felt as if the microphone would just slip right out of my hand. As the music started my throat and lips became completely dry. I stared at the enormous crowd praying I wouldn’t mess this up. I sang as best as I could with the trembling sound in my voice. I tried to move around the stage but my legs refused to move. I focused on the bright lights of the auditorium not to see the faces of the people starring at me. When the song finished everyone applauded and shouted my name. A tear of joy ran down my face as I walked off relieved that it was over.

The following week I was praised for my performance by so many people. I had never been happier in my life. I had put myself down and doubted myself so much. I realized that singing is my passion and that I should never underestimate myself. Today I am not afraid to be in front of a crowd and I am proud of my performances.