CHAPTER: 5

A black estate car came inside the hospital complex, and stopped right beside her. Manik jumped out and came over to her, looking dashing.

He said to Nandani, "Sorry I am late, domestic reasons. All set?" he asked her.

She nodded and stood up, and was satisfied for having spent her money wisely on her dress. 

The reaction on seeing her dress was that, Manik's eyes widened, his jaws sagged, the way her dress exaggerated her bust, didn't go unnoticed by him. With a conscious effort, he dragged his gaze up to her face and cleared his throat slightly.

Manik said, "You look very um..." he was tongue-tied. He closed his eyes and gave a rueful laugh. "Sorry. The white hospital coat covers up a lot. You look stunning, Nandani. I am really stunned."

She chuckled softly and said, "You too look very handsome, Dr. Manik."

He grinned, and opened the car door for her, tucked her skirt in and closed the door. He then strode round to the driving seat and slid behind the wheel. He then asked her, "What would you prefer first? Movie or dinner?"

She pulled an apologetic face and said, "Dinner? I am starving."

"So am I. Formal or informal?" he asked."

"Informal," she replied.

"Well inside or out in open space?" Manik asked.

She laughed at the preferences he offered, "Out."

Manik replied, "Done. I know of a place that has both an indoor restaurant, as well as food served out in the garden, with a river flowing beside it. It is a marvelous place."

"Well, so it is then decided." Nandani smiled and leaned back against her seat. She was happy that he had liked her dress. And right now on a dinner date. Could life be any more interesting?"

The garden restaurant was busy. As they went outside with their drinks, a couple were just leaving. So they sat down there. It was a very cool and secluded spot.

The cool breeze was blowing through the branches of willow trees, whispering as the wind blew. Lazy ducks were swimming in the river running alongside the garden. People were offering crumbs to the ducks, who were waiting in anticipation. Nandani watched them for a moment, then smilingly turned to Manik, to find him staring at her.

Nandani expected him to turn away his gaze when their eyes met, but instead his eyes burned into hers. "You are very beautiful, Nandani," he murmured.

Nandani started blushing, but he continued, "You are beautiful and very feminine, and very tempting. But I have made myself a promise tonight."

Nandani waited for him to continue. He then said in a strained voice, "I promised myself that I would not rush you into things. Particularly not on the first or second date."

She laughingly asked, "When would be the third date, Manik?"

His eyes darkened, and he held his breath. He then said, "Women you are not supposed to say things like that," he laughingly said.

Nandani laughed with him, caught in his sensualness.

Manik then moved closer to her, his fingers grazing her cheeks gently, then down over the hollow of her throat. His fingers then rested behind her back. His thumb then dragged over her waiting lips. He caught her chin to steady her, and then his mouth descended slowly on hers.

The gentle touch of his mouth, Nandani felt, was like the brush of an angel's wing, light, delicate.

Manik then kissed her. Though he was gentle, but there was no part of her that felt untouched, she felt. His kiss had in fact touched her soul. It seemed to gently caress her lips, her heart, and her soul. No one had ever kissed her like that, before. She never wanted it to end. But good things of course, always come to an end. 

Manik reluctantly separated from her, as he heard the waitress calling out, "Number forty?" "Damn it," Manik swore. He then said to Nandani, "Would you please go? I cannot go there like this."

Nandani watched him, he was deeply aroused, just as she was. She stood up, ducked below the branches of the trees, and got her food from the waitress.

When Nandani returned, he was sitting on the chair. He was looking and behaving awkwardly, as if the kiss had been an accident. She didn't want him to repent, what had been a beautiful experience for her.

She sat down, passed him his meal, and then met his tormented eyes. She said, "Don't, Manik. That was a beautiful kiss. I will not let you regret it."

He laughed and said, "I was probably, too out of line."

"No. You were not. I enjoyed the kiss."

He met her eyes, startled, "I do believe you are telling the truth, Nandani."

"Oh. I am telling the truth." She then took a mouthful of Chicken in Mayonnaise sauce. "I was sure that you would never do that, without some initiation from my side."

Manik choked on his first bite of food, and felt better after having a sip of water. He said, "Just don't say things like that."

"Like what? That I want you too, Manik?"

"Nandani, You don't know, but you are playing with fire," he said.

"I hope so," Nandani replied bluntly.

His eyes seemed to search her face, "I am a widower. I have two kids who take all my time and energy. This would not go anyplace. It would be just an affair."

"That is fine. I don't expect any more than that, Manik."

She could sense his tension. He said, "There is no happy ever after, Nandani. Not for me, not anymore."

She wanted to cry for him. But she whispered, "That is fine. Where shall we go?"

"Now?" Manik asked her.

"Why not?" she questioned him back.

He stared at her for a few seconds. He then stood up and pulled Nandani to her feet. "My friends have given me the keys to their place. In case of emergencies when I get late at work, I stay at their place. I think right now qualifies for an emergency."

She laughed softly and followed him to the car. It seemed ages when they reached the place. It was a lovely house on the side of a valley, with woods behind, and lush green fields, ahead. 

Manik opened the door, and they moved in, and upstairs to the only furnished room. He then turned towards her and asked her once more, "Are you sure?"

"Yes. Yes, I am sure, Manik."

His hands, on her body, were very tender, gentle. He kissed her very gently. She cried out with desire, clinging to his shoulders. He dragged her closer, while sensation swamped them, until they both lost control. They were then two bodies but one soul. Finding solace in each other's arms. 

Nandani knew he needed her, and she needed to be needed. Though it was just physical, but she took what she could get.

They then dressed up, and Manik went out on the terrace staring out at the valleys. She went into the kitchen and made two cups of coffee. She went back and gave him a cup.

Manik looked surprised, he turned and met her eyes and said, "I am sorry. I behaved like an animal then, Nandani."

"No you didn't. You behaved like a man," Nandani replied.

Manik then started speaking. "Alya died two years back. There has not been anyone since."

"Are you feeling guilty?" Nandani asked him.

"I feel guilty because I didn't feel guilty about Alya. I did not give her a moment's thought. She was worth more than that, but so are you Nandani." He then gave a grunt of laughter. He said, "Nandani, I used you."

"No you didn't, Manik."

They then made love again, outside, under the night sky.

Nandani realized that she had made an unpardonable mistake of falling in love with Manik, and nothing would ever be the same again. Never.