18

"You said what?" cried Francine.

Her tone and tense posture registered complete outrage. Chantal replied warily: "Once again: I said I'd ask you to meet with Thérèse in return for her helping me save my cousin Kath and her family."

They were in Mme. Dubois's sitting room, along with Genevieve and Lysette. The lady of the house herself was not present, having retired for her afternoon nap; Genevieve and her daughters had accepted Angélique's offer of hospitality for a few days, so that the girls could have a change from the island and enjoy city life. They had already gone shopping for clothes and had attended a concert with Mme. Dubois. After holding her peace for days Chantal had finally broached the subject of her promise to Thérèse.

"That had nothing to do with me or my sister! You didn't ask us first whether we wanted to see our grandmère again," Francine stormed.

Chantal said guiltily: "Okay, I admit that was wrong. But she kind of had me over a barrel at the time."

Lysette looked up from her book with anxious eyes. "I'm not mad at you, Chantal."

"Thanks," she replied, gratefully. "And of course you don't have to say yes. I only told her I'd raise the subject with you. It was always up to you whether or not you wanted to mend fences with her."

Lysette's brown eyes turned thoughtful. "I used to like our Mémé. But... I don't think I want to go back to her place again. It was nicer there than it is on the island, but I like you and Mme. Dubois so much more."

Chantal was relieved. "Well then, I've asked and you've both said no, so let's forget about it."

"Wait," said Genevieve. She had sat quietly all this time in her armchair by the window, making no effort to intervene as her daughter and niece quarrelled. Now she stood up slowly and said: "I think perhaps we should reconcile with my mother."

"But why?" said Francine, turning to face her mother with an incredulous look. "We don't have to talk to her anymore. You said so."

"Things have changed, love, since I said that. Your father..." Again her voice faltered – "Your father has turned up again. That means the Cabale will take an interest in us once more. My mother cares about her family. And whatever she may have felt when my brother and I turned away from her, I believe she still loves her grandchildren. If I am right she will help to protect you all from the Cabale."

"I thought our grandmère had fallen out of favour with them," said Francine.

"Only because of our rebellion against her authority. If we return to her it will put her in good odour with the Cabale again. She still has some sway with them, if only because of her wealth. I can tell her that you love your papa – " her voice broke " – and that you want nothing bad to happen to him, ever. Your love may protect him, too."

"So what do you want to do, Tante Genevieve?" Chantal said. "Phone her? Arrange a meeting?"

Genevieve said, "A personal meeting would be best––but between me and her, not you girls––not yet. A mother-daughter conference. On neutral ground, of course. Let the Cabale believe we are reconciling. It will appear to them that she has me back under her control again."

"And you will be!" protested Chantal.

Francine glared at her. "Why are you complaining? This was your doing!"

"Mine? How was it mine? I didn't bring your papa here. And I didn't show him my wolf form. That's what started all of this."

Francine bristled. "Oh no you don't! You're not going to blame Lysette and me for this. You went to Grandmère and put yourself in her debt. Now Maman thinks she must go back to her. It's dangerous for her, and it's all your fault."