𝐦𝐨𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭.

🌖

'twas another starless blue, the world quiet and asleep.

there, the moon stayed awake, lighting up the emptiness of the sky. truly, the scene was mesmerizing, and not another could compete with it, 'til i glanced at the side and was reminded of a more stunning sight, probably the most stunning of all.

i had always thought the moonlight couldn't be anything but a distant longing, and yet there it was, being held inside the eyes of a man so fair and captivating.

that man was you.

here we were, seated outside of your humble rooftop apartment under the night sky, me watching you hold the moonlight in your eyes as its glow reflected on your face. you were fondly staring at the moon, and that made me wish you would do the same to me, but i guess you never will. i turned back to the moon, excitement already faded, and later, we both sighed, yours out of amazement while mine...out of faint sadness. soon, the night grew deeper, and your eyelids became heavy as a yawn escaped your mouth. i frowned, knowing what it meant.

please stay just a little longer

you stretched high towards the sky and got up from your place. i thought of grabbing for your hand yet decided not to; instead, i watched you drag yourself to the door while i was left alone. i then realized i was like the moon, a sad, lone and ethereal being. while the moon watched over everyone, i watched over you for that was my sole purpose,

my purpose as your guardian angel.

the scene made me reminisce when i enjoyed gazing at the moon in solitude. i used to be above the world, and in the welkin, i stared at the sky painted with billions of stars as the moon glowed brightly.

the moon over shone everything around it, and it always felt like it was calling me to come closer, leaving me wondering as to what it'd be to see its beauty up close. my curiosity got the best of me as i tried chasing after it many times, yet it only kept going farther and farther the closer i got. so, i gave up eventually and spent the rest of my days adoring its amazement from afar. that was until i heard a cry, a cry that tugged my heart and drew me to come down from the heavens.

i followed the echoing voice and ended up in a room where a pale woman was lying on a bed. in her hands was a newborn, which, upon stepping closer, was the source of the cry. another person, a woman, then entered the room, holding something in her hand, as she went through me and walked towards the bed.

"congratulations, mrs. park! how are you feeling?" she asked.

the laying woman didn't respond immediately, clearly tired from her labor. instead, she smiled softly as a tear ran down her cheek. gladly, the person seemed to have understood; then, she grabbed a pen from her pocket and asked,

"what shall we name your baby boy?"

there wasn't an immediate reply, yet the mother's smile hinted that she had a certain name in mind.

"jinyoung"

upon hearing, my ears perked as the woman wrote down the name.

how lovely

the person excused herself out of the room, and when she was out, i slowly walked towards the little boy.